• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Early American War Pondering
01-29-2022, 08:34 AM,
RE: Early American War Pondering
(01-28-2022, 05:35 PM)Barly Wrote: Got 2 new questions.

(1)
Weapon Flags:
    & Can be prolonged.
    ^ Can be fired while mounted.
    +  Can fire indirect.
    - Has no bayonets.
    * Small arms, 50% melee bonus.
Found this info in the EAW_pdt.pdf

Do these apply to NAP and ACW Titles as well?

I tried ^ and * in Forgotten Campaigns (ACW) and it generated an error.
I tried same thing in Eckmuhl          (NAP) and it seemed to work -no error anyway.

(2)
This is not EAW related but thought I would ask here;

In Eckmuhl (NAP series) ,I noticed in .pdt weapon lines that the melee weapons do not seem to exist,
(SEEMS L P S not present in any of the .pdts in ECKMUHL)(lance pike sword). However the Cavalry seems armed with Sword ,what fire value does the Sword have and can I modify it by adding an entry into the .pdt  ,or are only ranged weapons included in .pdt weapon lines? I suppose I could add Sword to have a range of 1 with a fire value I feel appropriate to represent harassing skirmishing -small groups of slashing cavalry leaving main group to attack enemy ,as distinct from a full blown melee?

:) Question 1 is actually 5 questions.  No, I don't think they are the exactly the same in NAP, ACW (CWB), and EAW series.  I am pretty sure that the first melee bonus is in there (not sure if it is the exact same percentage but it's the same idea; it's also in Musket and Pike).

I don't recall there being Prolong in NAP/ACW/MP  (MP and NAP are fairly closely related, but not exact; generally MP's engine is more detailed).

I have to check about fire while mounted in NAP, in ACW, I'm pretty sure that they only do that while dismounted (but it has been awhile since I've played it - I don' t think there is a toggle, at any rate in the Civil War titles).  I think NAP is covered by the class of unit; dragoon I think - but will have to check. And MP I think what I had put together (which was someone else's idea) - a toggle to be unable to dismount -so that they could only fire while mounted.

NAP has a no bayonets toggle; ACW wouldn't (everyone is assumed to have bayonets) -will double check.
NAP also has a fire indirect toggle, not sure about ACW (however I do remember some mortars in some titles, so it is a possibility.

The actual answer is a little bit of a minefield, as I know that Bill Peters had added keys for PDT and OOB files to some of his NAP titles (not sure if they are in all of them, but RBR had it, and I think Marengo might).  The Civil War titles have something similar, and I think they might be in version 4.0 downloads (under the Manuals folder).  Fwiw, and since I mentioned it a few times, Musket and Pike has the same sort of documents.  Conceptually they are alike, but the toggle coding can be a little different, and not everything carries over from one series to the next. I guess maybe part of the problem is that they all look similarly, graphically so that might end up being a bit of a visual cue but it's not an accurate one (at least at this point).

2) Melee weapons exist in NAP (including Eckmuhl), but the PDT weapons' values are only dealing with fire combat. And it is a little different in Musket and Pike's engine, in that you can impact melee combat a little more with the weapons' coding (by applying modifiers to impact melee in a more direct sense than NAP ... leastwise I have done that); meaning that swords, lances and all of that will exist but you won't find that rated on the weapons' lines in the PDT files. Off the top of my head there are bonuses applied to some units, like heavy cavalry, and lancers (and some negative ones, to irregular or cossack cavalry, maybe dragoons) ... in my case when I code this sort of thing, personally speaking I try to stay within the one engine -so there might be better answers from others that work more directly with the Napoleonic or Civil War series scenario building.
Bydand
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Early American War Pondering - by Sean - 01-07-2022, 10:26 AM
RE: Early American War Pondering - by Sean - 01-07-2022, 06:19 PM
RE: Early American War Pondering - by Sean - 01-08-2022, 09:43 AM
RE: Early American War Pondering - by -72- - 01-08-2022, 05:24 PM
RE: Early American War Pondering - by Sean - 01-08-2022, 06:27 PM
RE: Early American War Pondering - by Sean - 01-28-2022, 05:35 PM
RE: Early American War Pondering - by -72- - 01-29-2022, 08:34 AM
RE: Early American War Pondering - by Sean - 01-29-2022, 10:08 AM