• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Phase vs turn
05-19-2021, 06:19 AM,
RE: Phase vs turn
(05-16-2021, 11:54 PM)bkosar1 Wrote: I also prefer phases for the Civil War PBEM games because it has the option to let the AI handle the defensive fire phase so each turn only requires two emails.  I don't think the Napoleonic games have that option which is annoying, but it's been a while since I've played a PBEM Napoleonic game.  So, maybe I'm mistaken.

No, this currently isn't possible in the Napoleonic games. I also hope this gets added soon, as I much prefer to play in phases but don't love how long the games take.

However, wouldn't the best solution to the turns/phase problem (to maintain convenience while preventing ahistorical blitzkrieg tactics) be to adopt the approach that The Operational Art of War uses? If Movement Points indicate how many actions a unit can perform within the 15 minutes of a turn, then passing through hexes in which an action has taken place will drain Movement Points accordingly if that hex would have been obstructed or within a Zone of Control at the time.

For example, if a friendly charging cavalry unit overruns an enemy unit and clears the hex, then other friendly units attempting to pass through that hex within the same turn will be drained of an appropriate amount of Movement Points to abstract the time that they had to wait for that first charge to happen. This would prevent the sort of blitzkrieg exploitation that's currently possible in the turn-based mode.

Just a thought!
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Phase vs turn - by NicolasBourbaki - 04-19-2021, 07:11 PM
RE: Phase vs turn - by agmoss99 - 04-19-2021, 10:42 PM
RE: Phase vs turn - by panther421 - 04-20-2021, 12:04 AM
RE: Phase vs turn - by RichWhite - 05-16-2021, 10:21 PM
RE: Phase vs turn - by bkosar19 - 05-16-2021, 11:54 PM
RE: Phase vs turn - by mezentius - 05-19-2021, 06:19 AM
RE: Phase vs turn - by LarkinVB - 07-05-2021, 03:51 AM