• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

mortar patch
06-13-2020, 10:36 AM,
RE: mortar patch
(05-20-2020, 03:09 AM)Xaver Wrote: Interesting, grouping mortars they are going to be more usefull and you reduce number of units to move.

With heavy arty and rockets... i dont know if is possible port the idea behind stacking penalty for infantry but in arty... if you use more than X tubes is a reduction of damage because more guns means more dispersion and reduce effectivity... this reward more surgical use of arty in small units and reduce the bigger number of guns units... they are more powerfull because have more guns BUT not a lot more.

Playing with numbers to balance more guns VS more dispersion when they fire.

Interesting read. I do agree - tho I do not have the immersion into the PB game as of yet.

Some odd observations of my own do concur - I also gripe when doing an IF support firing by small size units hasn't been very dangerous - not like DF infantry can be from strong "A" Morale units with good firepower ( Germans ). The IF support has been quite a minor result in comparison.  And - tank gun firing - "light" DF artillery - is very useful comparatively so.

What has been odd - from tinkering in PB Normandy - has been the defensive support fire from mortars and artillery in response to DF units' efforts. I have seen and been subjected to - a startling effectiveness  from such IF that had  done an incremental critical damage - to anybody. Sherman tanks KO'd by a 2 factor 81mm mortar unit SPW
counter fire ; many infantry units whittled down by Def. support fire in response after all of their DF fire - they got the worst of the exchange - in sum it didn't pay to fire at the Brits. This happens when such def. units do have such support attached to them.

Much the same in PB Kursk ; I had some T34s moving out of cover - get hit by Ger. 120mm mortars and lose a tank
for the trouble. It seemed that IF defensive support was a greater risk than my foe's own directed artillery/mortar fire.
My foe's efficient A-rated Germans were a nasty encounter when my Red Army got aggressive - always a shower of that responding def. IF fire - that did some hurting to my guys.

Do note - that the damage from all IF has been light comparably so. The game system seems to be geared toward an incremental total effect casualty-wise. 

I suppose that a "fix" might involve a greater random result that would be greater losses when it hits on target.
My 2 cents - thank you ,  man !

5 Leichte Div         Helmet Rolleyes
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
mortar patch - by phoenix - 05-15-2020, 08:44 PM
RE: mortar patch - by Strela - 05-16-2020, 11:30 AM
RE: mortar patch - by phoenix - 05-17-2020, 01:21 AM
RE: mortar patch - by Xaver - 05-20-2020, 03:09 AM
RE: mortar patch - by 5 Leichte Div - 06-13-2020, 10:36 AM
RE: mortar patch - by phoenix - 05-28-2020, 06:59 PM
RE: mortar patch - by Fhil - 05-28-2020, 08:27 PM
RE: mortar patch - by Strela - 05-29-2020, 03:11 AM