• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Atheory's Project: Operation Fischreiher (Stalingrad42)
01-17-2018, 07:02 PM,
RE: Atheory's Project: Operation Fischreiher (Stalingrad42)
The strength numbers were a carry over from the actual S42 game itself. I've not adapted them at all. If anything, most should be a tad weaker since fighting has been relatively continuous since June 28-ish when Case Blue started. There is also no heavy weapons company represented throughout the scenario. This is something I hope to change in my scenarios as I'm theory crafting a new concept for the HW Company unit within the battalion structure.

As I work to "streamline" the unit strengths and values throughout all my scenarios, it is possible this can change in time. Especially, after any reasonable amount of testing and or feed back. But, for now the scenario will remain without a HW company.

*Teaser*
My HW Company concept
1) Treated as support unit rather than assault type unit. (meaning it has very low assault values)
2) HW Company is split into 2 over-strength size platoon units (50-80men). Why 2 and not 3? Many HW comp up to 1943/44 were 2 machine and 1 mortar platoons, (some nations are different). I would merge the mortar manpower and firepower potential into 2 MG platoons. It's a more abstract use of the units capabilities with (i hope) bringing to the front the real spirit of the HW company.

The purpose of this configuration....
1) It adds back to the battalion some manpower removed when many scenarios began removing the HW unit altogether.
2) It adds back some firepower as well.
3) It is not strong enough to treat as a full combat unit, but can merge the two units for added flexibility.
4) Not weak enough to perish too easily, but just weak enough to force consideration of how the unit is used.
5) It gives the Regiment/Battalion additional units from which to apply some of the following historical tactics:
a) Increase defensive frontage of the Regiment (if needed)
b) Add additional firepower to other units in the same hex (think: MG platoon being assigned to support another unit)
c) Rear area protection. Protection units that can help protect artillery/HQ unit locations.
d) Maintain original attack lines in case offensive units need to retreat.
e) Inject unit in line while main combat unit is in rear resting/recovering.

The hiccups come from nations that have two mortar platoons and only one MG platoon. Then later in the war, throw in an AT platoon just to mess with me I think...(haha). For simplicity and continuity, I think I've settled on having just 2 HW type units, period. A MG-Mortar variant, and an MG-AT variant. The attack/defense values will adjust accordingly.

Concerns
1) I question how a Russian OOB can handle this, as most scenarios don't break the battalions down into companies. I was just thinking of adding the manpower back to the battalion regardless, to offset what would be given to the Axis.

Anywho, that's what I got so far
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheory's Project: Operation Fischreiher (Stalingrad42) - by Ocito80 - 01-17-2018, 07:02 PM