• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sending attached support BACK up the chain
07-08-2017, 03:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2017, 03:24 PM by Gris.)
RE: Sending attached support BACK up the chain
(07-08-2017, 02:32 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Great info, never understood the details on support, thought it was a ratio or likelihood setting compared to other HQs.

Hi Ricky B,

At first I found it odd, I can't say for sure, but I believe it is based on artillery units because they are the most numerous and units stack them, especially Soviets. When I use it (usually late game when the Soviets are filled to the brim with SU units) it really cuts down on the micro. For most units setting, 3 Support Level seems to work, since you can only commit 6 SU to a combat at a time (with exceptions of course because this is WITE, 18 is max). When you go higher is seems to load up some HQs and other will have none. So if you went to 6 and you have 50 HQs, you are telling it to assign 300 artillery type units, which you don't have, so it seems to start "somewhere" till it runs out. Which leads to the confusion on what the number 3 in the Support Level setting means. You can use the Commander's Report to figure out a good setting using this. If you have 300 artillery units (your type at the bottom of units tab) / by your Front-Army HQs in the HQ Tab, say 50, then 6 Support Level is a good starting point. I usually go with Artillery because it is the most numerous.

Also the more you have assigned to an HQ, the less chance each one has for commitment. This is only for HQ's, units are another topic entirely and apply more to Axis and late game Soviet.

Again, this is my perception as far as what to set the Support Level too, I can't based it on anything in the engine. Given what I see in the game, the rules do seem to match the execution. As always, the manual makes it hard to figure out. The Support units are a game within itself. As is the manual. 

It is a good place to start. Just to reiterate, this is for the macro game. 

In micro, Stalin does what He wants.  Big Grin
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sending attached support BACK up the chain - by Gris - 07-08-2017, 03:24 PM