• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

#0202_08s_Kharkov '43 Grand Campaign_Variant_1 CLOSED
10-30-2016, 03:25 AM,
RE: #0202_08s_Kharkov '43 Grand Campaign_Variant_1
(10-30-2016, 02:53 AM)Fhil Wrote: David,

As I do not own Kharkov ´43 I was not aware of that interesting solution with the victory points. It simply looks great and I think that some other games lack this type of solution as well in order to prevent gamey tactic which then usually tends to completely destroy the point of the scenario! Was it hard to implement it into the engine?
But the losses are not accounted for at all? Doesn´t that give space for a gamey tactic regarding the use of the units (not taking care about the losses)?

Hi Fhil,

This solution was devised because when we first released Kharkov '43 there was not a Grand Campaign. Originally there was a scenario for each of the above phases. A number of players complained that there had to be a way to combine the scenarios (which was easy enough) but I had to find a way to incent the players to consider and execute historical actions.

For example the Soviets have to go a long way to capture enough locations to get a decent level of victory by February 19.

As far as implementing it into the engine, it is sort of forced. The game will alert you to check the score on the right date/turn, but players then have to manually record the values at that time.

As far as losses - no to gamely tactics. This is a long scenario. If you burn up all your defenders early on you will struggle to hold anything, let alone counterattack. Players will naturally have to shepherd their forces to take or defend locations, all of which are valued at exactly 1 VP. No need to include losses in the calculation of victory for that reason.

David
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: #0202_08s_Kharkov '43 Grand Campaign_Variant_1 - by Strela - 10-30-2016, 03:25 AM