• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTS/HPS Wishlist and Random Thoughts
08-10-2014, 10:56 AM,
RE: JTS/HPS Wishlist and Random Thoughts
(08-10-2014, 09:17 AM)trauth116 Wrote: Technically speaking that couldn't have been the only thing that was done in the Waterloo Campaign series ( adjusting the map to fit the scale), the OOB files would have had to been modified (not just due to structure of formations - naturally you need that), but you also have to set a new time scale and adjust the movement factors as to what is needed at the scale you now have.).

Plus you also have to work within the OOB structure as given in the sense that you only have leaders set for specific programmatic positions. At some point you run out of layers because you only have (now at least) Army, Wing, Corps, Division, Brigade commanders in the NB series - in CWB you don't have a Wing Commander position -meaning that you have one less layer.

You would also need to adjust the PDT tables due to different weapons' effectiveness and ranges as well.

The main problem would be with the maps, however -not many people have access to the mapmaking program (my guess is that the majority - maybe all of the guys that do) are probably already engaged in projects.

The other thing too is that not everyone actually doing Lead Scenario Design work has access to the mapmaking software -the point being that the ability to create maps is not probably as widespread as some guys might think. :)
I never had considered the issues concerning the CWB OOB command structure, but did realize the PDT would have to be altered. If the game .exe needs to be changed in order to support a new time and movement scale, I can see that this idea is really a no go. Obviously, whoever designed Waterloo had the inclination and time needed to make the changes to the Napoleonic system. Like I said though, just thinking out loud, and trying to get a discussion started.

From what I can see, the only thing I've mentioned that might be able to be done quickly (quickly being a relative term) might be the filling in of the DF '85 map, but then again, I suppose it all comes down to who has access to the map software and more importantly, who has the time and interest?

All of this is worth talking about I think, if only to sort of bring back the "good old days" when these forums were buzzing with comments about the game systems, OOB's, and ideas for new scenarios....I sort of miss them myself, but then again just look at my post count - I was never a contributor, just a reader anyway. Now it's maybe too late in the game.

Here's another silly thought: I seem to remember that in the Modern Campaigns system the only game that allowed for companies and platoons to NOT have to pay a penalty when broken down from a battalion, or treated as an independent unit is ME '67. I wonder if it would be possible through a patch to extend that to all games in the series? Flagging everything as a KG works I know, but the problem is that once units are broken down, they can't recombine. For that matter is the Kampfgruppe designation the only one that works, or can Combat Command and Task Force be used to the same effect?
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: JTS/HPS Wishlist and Random Thoughts - by 2-81 Armor - 08-10-2014, 10:56 AM