• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New player
01-02-2013, 08:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2013, 08:32 AM by Stejones82.)
RE: New player
(01-01-2013, 04:00 AM)alexhs Wrote: Ok, I've decided to try a squad battles game, coming over from years of fun with the campaign series
There are some very interesting titles to try. But I will want to get stuck in to some pbem games.
So here's my question. What should I get?
Love the idea of small scale fighting in Stalingrad, and fancy trying Vietnam or Spanish cw.
Suggestions please. Thanks
Alex

Greetings Alex -

I am new to the SqB series with Vietnam and Eagles Strike in hand fo a fwe weeks now. So here is my perspective.

I find I am playing eagles strike easily 75% over 25% Vietnam. I understand that Vietnam was the first title released in the series, and this, IMHO, shows in the clunkiness of the scenarios especially. They seem rather cookie-cutter. Now this is no slight to the scenario designers - it may be that the era and the forces represented lend the scenarios to that. I have yet to try any non-stock scenarios, and have it on good authority (Jeff) that these are somewhat more interesting.

Eagles Strike, so far, has proven to be very diverse and interesting. I played one PBEM game wherein I lamented that the scenario designers had created a situation for the German (me, that time) that was virtually unwinnable. Much to my surprise, by the end of the 12 turns, I had coaxed a German Minor victory! The point is that I learned to trust the scenario designers for ES in a way that I am not sure I would for Vietnam.

So my advice - for what it's worth - get ES, and any other title which interests you. I have my eye on Advance of the Reich which Santa somehow neglected in my Christmas stocking.
- - - -

In addition, while you are waiting for the game to arrive, I suggest you read through as much of this forum as you can stomach. Lots and lots of great info here.

Also, one thing which helped me was playing a few solitaire games with the "Hot Seat" option, wherein you as the human player play BOTH sides of the engagement. This helped me come to grips with spotting, opportunity fire, the length and breadth of the map, the long-range of the weapons, etc. 2cents2
- - - -

In addition, while you are waiting for the game to arrive, I suggest you read through as much of this forum as you can stomach. Lots and lots of great info here.

Also, one thing which helped me was playing a few solitaire games with the "Hot Seat" option, wherein you as the human player play BOTH sides of the engagement. This helped me come to grips with spotting, opportunity fire, the length and breadth of the map, the long-range of the weapons, etc. 2cents2
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
New player - by alexhs - 01-01-2013, 04:00 AM
RE: New player - by Compass Rose - 01-01-2013, 04:36 AM
RE: New player - by Jeff Conner - 01-01-2013, 03:25 PM
RE: New player - by alexhs - 01-02-2013, 12:07 AM
RE: New player - by Mr Grumpy - 01-02-2013, 07:42 AM
RE: New player - by Stejones82 - 01-02-2013, 08:23 AM
RE: New player - by grofaz - 02-09-2013, 12:37 PM
RE: New player - by Laza - 02-09-2013, 12:57 PM
RE: New player - by Nikb - 02-09-2013, 06:53 PM
RE: New player - by kolc - 02-09-2013, 11:05 PM