• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Request for an Important Thread: "Rules of Engagement for PBEM Games"
04-28-2012, 10:07 PM,
RE: Request for an Important Thread: "Rules of Engagement for PBEM Games"
(04-28-2012, 02:07 AM)Battle Kat Wrote: Luckily, the first part is already available. It is known as the Hawk's Law, and here it is in its full glory (gosh Eric, you sure have the skill to squeeze lots of wisdom into a few words only Salute )

Hawk's Law

1: If there are no ROE's stated then none are in play. Everything goes.

2: Other than cheating the Blitz has no ROE's regarding game play.

3: If you are better than your oppoent you will beat him the majority of the time no matter what tactics he uses.

4: For every "gamey" tactic there is an answer. Go find it.

5: If you play me please spot with your trucks and lead with your halftracks. You will lose.

6: Enough hand wringing. Go play.

Hello Petri!

Thanks for bringing this to light again. Hawk Law's? You flatter me.

I suppose I have played enough games verses enough opponents that this really is my basic requirements the I need from my opponents. I have enough wins and losses that those are no longer of a great concern. I know look for challange and fun.

Further comments on the Hawk Laws.

1. My style is not everything goes, I play more along the style that Ed does (he was my early mentor), but if my opponent does it is fine for one or two games. He will not be my opponent for long.

2. Cheating is the only place that the Blitz should be involved IMHO. ROEs are between players.

3. This is also very true. I could do most anything in a scenario and I will not beat certain players. They are simply better than me (in many cases way better than me).

4. That could be ammended to for most gamey tactics there is an answer. Ultimately the ultimate tactic against a gamey player is to not play them anymore. I once had an opponent who put the maximum amount of infanty SP's in open hexes and then drove his tanks behind them so I could not see them. He got his couple of games and then no more. No complaining, no crying foul.

5. This is also a truism. With truck's being worth 3 VPs an per SP you cannot lose a lot of trucks and expect to win. The math just does not work.

6. As to this. If you spend a lot of time worrying about ROEs (hand wrining) then you are devoting less time to the actual game. Go play, have fun, if you win great, if you lose its ok and if the opponent is not to your liking as to style then don't play them. No need to fret.

Anyone you would like to see the Hawk Rules (really Petri!) in action can send me an email.

Go play!

Hawk

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Request for an Important Thread: "Rules of Engagement for PBEM Games" - by Hawk Kriegsman - 04-28-2012, 10:07 PM