• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Thoughts for a Top Gun Tournament
01-25-2012, 08:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-25-2012, 08:18 PM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
RE: Thoughts for a Top Gun Tournament
(01-25-2012, 02:53 PM)Larry Reese Wrote: Interested. What are the criteria for scenario selection? In my opinion, this has more to do with winning than almost anything else (scenario balance I mean) when players are on a par skillwise.

What happened to the old tournament?

LR

In the old tourney we had a few drop outs. And, Jim Puff passed away.
I think I was like a barking shepherd trying to keep the tournament moving.

The final match found Umbro versus Herr Nash. In the end Herr Nash came out on top.

Games were selected on the basis of the overall play and ratings for balance. I think as we went along 99% of the scenarios were thought to be "gems" that were extremely fun to play.

I was thinking of using smaller to medium sized scenarios from the H2H approved list. Or, by going through the data base and finding ones that "again" are balanced in overall play. I'm not a fan of the "new" scenario dBASE. I find it too hard to sort (but, I am willing to do it).

I'm trying to keep it interesting and challenging but also moving the tourney to a conclusion that does not take "forever".
As you said, this is Top Gun. This pits the best against the best. If done on an even playing field the feature is the players and not the scenarios they play?
All were top players. But, one was Top Gun. Helmet Smile

I originally thought to do it as an annual event. But, it wore me out and almost burned me out. Helmet Rolleyes

cheers

HSL
(01-25-2012, 06:07 PM)Ashcloud Wrote: I could run it, although I would not host a linked site to track it - rather just run it in the forum.

Thanks Ash! Salute5

I will keep you in mind. I think what I have as a weakness, is in doing spread sheets. Toward the middle of Top Gun, after Raven went missing, I was doing everything on a piece of note paper. Write
It is easier to have someone who likes spread sheets to keep track of things. And, for me to be the "carnival barker". Hello?

:drink:

HSL

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts for a Top Gun Tournament - by Herr Straße Laufer - 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM
RE: Thoughts for a Top Gun Tournament - by PawelM - 01-26-2012, 03:24 AM