• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Looking for game for Punic Wars and Gallic Warfare
02-10-2011, 10:44 AM,
RE: Looking for game for Punic Wars and Gallic Warfare
(02-10-2011, 08:37 AM)Al Amos Wrote: Use centuries.

But thanks for the reply. I wanted others to see it is your disagreement with the ground scale, not an actual engine flaw. So it's basically, you think chocolate ice cream should taste differently than Paul does. You think the engine can't represent the legion the way you want it to, no problem there at all. The game engine itself works well, and the scenarios are enjoyable, and do represent a historical viewpoint, just not yours.

al

Al,

If I said it was chocolate you would say it's vanilla. If i said it was blue, you would say that it's green. If i said it looked and smelled like crap you would say it's a steak. As usual, you argue a point for the sake of arguing, either without any understanding of the issue or simply to be obstinate. From your statement above I wonder if you have ever studied the two periods in question.

The engine cannot represent the legion the way it fought in Caesar's time; period. Not only is the ground scale an issue as you point out but you cannot form cohorts the way they were organized and employed. The game was not set up that way. Paul even states himself that the game was set up for the Punic wars. The Roman legion of the Punic wars and Caesar's time were two completely different animals.

Like I said; if you like the game, which obviously you do then fine; play it and have fun, but in no way is it representative of warfare of the period it is intended to represent. If you feel it is, then you are sadly misinformed.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for game for Punic Wars and Gallic Warfare - by RADO - 02-10-2011, 10:44 AM