• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Looking for game for Punic Wars and Gallic Warfare
02-10-2011, 07:08 AM,
RE: Looking for game for Punic Wars and Gallic Warfare
(02-09-2011, 01:00 PM)Al Amos Wrote: "The platform & engine preclude me from doing so"

How so? I've not seen any stop signs. The ground scale does allow a cohort to fit into a single hex, at field strength. Your choice. Work around percieved limits to get what you like, or give up. Individual choice. Good luck finding the 'perfect' game. :-)

al

Ok, here we go again. Whip

A hex is 20 meters or 20 yards. At the time of Caesar, a cohort of 480 men occupied a frontage of about sixty meters (eight ranks deep), and it acted as a single entity, not as separate maniples occupying three hexes.

So yes, you can put 480 men in a single hex but the frontage in the game is only 20 meters and should be three times that for a standard Roman deployment. With 480 men in a single hex in the game you have a cohort 20 men wide and 24 ranks deep (sort of like Varro at Cannae). If you deploy the "maniples" in the game over three hexes wide you have the correct frontage but now you are operating as three independent units and that was not the case in the Roman army of the time and not how it operated.

So as I said before, the game is great for the period it was initially designed for and that is representing the style of warfare of the Manipular Roman legion. That organization ceased to be used when Scipio Africanus reorganized the legion after the fall of New Carthage (yes, I said Scipio - It was not Marius. Marius made some significant changes in eligibility for citizens to enter the army, but the organizational change was made under Scipio Africanus).

Back to you!

:)
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for game for Punic Wars and Gallic Warfare - by RADO - 02-10-2011, 07:08 AM