• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Air recon and carpet bombing question
01-16-2009, 11:56 AM,
RE: Air recon and carpet bombing question
Volcano Man Wrote:
33vortex Wrote:Is it considered gamey to use air recon, spot units and use carpet bombing on them? We are using 'limited air recon' optional rule, still it is possible to use air recon to spot then carpet bomb. Carpet bombing doesn't need a defined target does it, just a specified hex? It's not very reliable to carpet bomb, it seems to have about 60-75% accuracy or so. At the time I didn't have any tac bombers available, but I believe tac strikes on air spotted targets is not possible, correct?

This is pretty much what these units are intended for. I often use them to bomb cities that have vital cross roads just, at the very least, to rubble the area. If you use recon aircraft and spot a unit moving through the city and then bomb it, so much the better. As you said, carpet bombing is extremely inaccurate and the odds are, you will not hit your target.

Besides bombing cities with cross roads, I always look for an area behind the front line that has a high concentration of units (units it many different hexes adjacent, in one area) and choose the median hex. This will no doubt result in the bombers hitting "something", but most likely not the hex you wanted.

It is just "one of those things". If you opponent knows you have carpet bombers, then it is similar to playing MC and knowing your opponent has tactical nukes. You just have to be very careful and not present too many fat juicy targets.

if you carpet bomb a hex and it hits a unit next to it with a "unknown question mark" you get full fire value of bombers?
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Air recon and carpet bombing question - by Turner - 01-14-2009, 09:39 PM
RE: Air recon and carpet bombing question - by U124IXB - 01-16-2009, 11:56 AM