• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule
11-24-2008, 07:05 AM,
RE: Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule
Vesku Wrote:And who would ever use FOO rule in such a battle?

What's that supposed to mean? There's a list somewhere of which battles do and which don't qualify? I haven't seen it. Or does the rule that an A0 can't call arty only apply to more modern or bigger games (you know, games where the AO represents an even greater staff with more sophisticated equipment).

Your remark illustrates my objection perfectly. Realworld examples that don't fit the mold get rationalised out.
Want another example? Here's one:

Infantry cie positioned around a small town, the three 60mm tubes attached to it are located on the hill behind it and can see the open field between the town and the woods where the enemy positions are. The enemy attacks and starts crossing the open field. The company commander can't order his 60mm's to start a barrage in the open field, nor can the arty unit do so on it's own. Has to be an observer unit. But he's busy plotting the 105mm battery just behind the woods to silence the enemy mortars there that have started firing to support the attack. ifferent hex so he can't also plot the fire against the infantry inthe field. In other words, the 60mm's can't fire at the infantry in the open with indirect fire. How silly is that?
But say you'll allow arty to fire on units they can see themselves and the following happens; the enemy arty starts a few fires in town and soon the view is obstructed due to smoke, the 60mm unit doesn't have LOS more. The cie commander does and he has a radio link to his 60mm's. Can't adjust the fire though, he's not allowed under the rule. More silliness.

I can keep coming up with examples. Point is that the FO rule 'solves' one problem but creates others. It's not more realistic.

Narwan
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule - by Narwan - 11-24-2008, 07:05 AM