• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule
11-24-2008, 12:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2008, 12:41 AM by Walrus.)
RE: Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule
Hi Guys

It has been interesting to read all these posts.
I think there are some great ideas floating around but I would like to make one crucial point...

Just because we are referring to the FOO ''rule" does not, and never has, made it an actual rule per se.
It is merely a guideline for players who wish to play using a slightly more realistic arty system, helpfully contributed by Chris.
The main idea was that you could set up a battle, then agree to the the use of the FOO rule and then you could then both just crack on with the battle without having to debate and restate your arty routine preference yet again. Especially when it came to playig against new opponents.

It seems that some of you guys are bent on getting a change to the 'rules' rather than realising that they are just set a of guidelines that can be altered or ignored according to taste and style of players and type of battle.

If anyone wants to VERY CLEARLY write a set of rules / guidelines for using arty in SP games, I am sure that we could post them up in the Important Threads section here at the SP forum and they could then be used by anyone that wanted them.
You could agree to use Weasel's, Cross', Imp's or none at all...or any one of those, but with slight agreed variations...whatever.

Now, in saying that, there is no point have 15 sets of arty rules is there Big Grin It would just be annoying and confusing, especially for those of us for whom English is not their first language.

So...let the discussion continue, and why don't a few of you put your money where your mouth is and try a few test battles against each other using the rule sets and see how they pan out.
I can assure you that many battles were played testing Chris' FOO rules idea before it was offered to the community for use by those who wished it.

Can I suggest that the most important thing, far more than sheafs or no sheafs etc....is the ability for it to be easily understood by all prospective users and even more importantly, policed during the game.
Avoiding confusion or suspicion of 'bending' the rules is always a prime concern of mine, and I am sure of all of you, so the more simple it is, the better it will work.

IMO, you'll end up with a slightly changed version of Chris' idea...partly because it aready basically works and partly because you'll all end up bickering over terminology or minor points and not get around to actually doing anything constructive :stir:

So...have at it chaps! It's good to see some healthy debate, whether Vesku likes it or not :whis:
Anything that helps us all get a better and more interesting experience when we are playing this game is always a good thing.

So...let's get a vote going, or a poll...or some tests done.
Hurrah!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule - by Walrus - 11-24-2008, 12:37 AM