• Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule
11-21-2008, 12:06 AM,
RE: Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule
Hi
Good points all.

I would like to agree with Vesku.

The reason for the FOO rule, limited as it is, was to kill off gamey play.
One FOO (or none) scattering single tubes all around the map, chasing targets that no unit could actually see.
I have done that, I am sure we all have...
However, the idea was to start to limit the use of arty plotting to a 'more realistic' scenario, and in the process make the FOO a more important unit in the game.

The way it runs at the moment, it is easy for the opponent to keep an eye on the enemy arty routine.
When you are told the enemy has 2 FOO, you can easily keep watch on the fall of shells to make sure the targeting is being done according to the rules.
Some of the suggestions in this thread would be a nightmare to try and police, even though they are quite realistic.

Another point I would make is that anything is allowable by negotiation.
If you know your opponent well enough, you can tailor the FOO rule to suit the battle, either by using only part of the current FOO rule, or by adding to it.

I think Chris has come up with a good, workable, additional rule to improve the game we play.
I am happy to use it, or not, depending on the battle and my opponent.

Trying to make this game 'perfectly' realistic is a waste of time and effort IMO. It is and always will be just a game, with plenty of faults and small issues, but it is the best game of this type that I have yet played.
The fact that we can adjust plenty of variables and also negotiate with our opponents give us massive flexibility and the chance for a decent test of skills.

Hurrah!

Anyway...that's my 2 cents worth.
I'll be watching this thread with interest.
A good debate is worth it's weight in gold eh Big Grin

Cheers
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realistic Artillery Management - FOO Rule - by Walrus - 11-21-2008, 12:06 AM