• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The problem is not the assault rule
11-08-2008, 04:22 AM,
RE: The problem is not the assault rule
When I suggested HTs not be able to call in arty, I was thinking of the more run-of-the-mill Sdkfz 250/251s. I don't think the average 250/251 had any kind of long-range radio. Command half-tracks might have had them, but I would worry about essentially double-counting the leader by letting a command HT unit and its associated leader (either company HQ or an actual leader unit) both have arty spotting ability, particularly among people who use HTs as raiders/scouts/etc. widely separated from their infantry.

Given the sheer number of HT units in some scenarios it would make the whole point of restricting on-call targetted artillery much less effective. For example, an armored infantry company would go from 1 unit (possibly 2 if they get a company leader) to call in arty to 4.

Now, you do bring up a good point that special-purpose HT units (FOs, recon, etc.) probably should be able to spot artillery. As you also said, non-combat HTs (e.g. prime movers) should definitely not be able to call in arty.

Umbro,

I have mixed feelings on airstrikes. You do call them in, but they are always subject to scatter. So, I am not sure they need the same attention, unless calling in airstrikes from spotter units actually increased their accuracy or decreased their response time somehow.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The problem is not the assault rule - by Copper - 11-06-2008, 05:14 AM
RE: The problem is not the assault rule - by Ivan - 11-06-2008, 07:11 PM
RE: The problem is not the assault rule - by Mike Abberton - 11-08-2008, 04:22 AM