• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Adjusted S42 Alt Campaign - v1 - von Nev
10-28-2008, 03:12 PM,
RE: Adjusted S42 Alt Campaign - v1 - von Nev
There must be some old posts with a discussion about the German southern gambit around somewhere, where the problem is discussed in some detail. But in short there is nothing stopping the Germans from massing all their Panzer and Motorised forces to crush the Russian southern flank. Its a very difficult gambit to stop.

I agree its totally unrealistic. The Germans simply did not have the fuel to mobilize all these panzer troops at once. But in the game its a very viable tactic and most likely will succeed against an unwary Russian. Even a wary one needs to be very careful in the south.

The problem you face as a designer is the limitation of the supply system, in a fuel sense. From memory I think the Germans only had enough fuel to move around one or two mech divisions, not all six. I don't know how you can model that within the game. Maybe all their PzG could be changed to foot sloggers (like some Russians are), except for the odd one here and there. Its a difficult problem. Because really the Germans should be able to decide which formations he will allocate his precious fuel reserves to. Anyone who has played the Operational Combat Series by The Gamers (its a boardgame) will know just what I mean, as in how fuel supplies determine how many panzer div's and PzG div's one can get moving in the Uranus scenarios.

cheers
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adjusted S42 Alt Campaign - v1 - von Nev - by Krak - 10-28-2008, 03:12 PM