• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

After 70 years, the Spitfire still stirs the heart
09-26-2008, 07:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-26-2008, 07:58 AM by Stryker.)
RE: After 70 years, the Spitfire still stirs the heart
Hey Bootie, thanks for the heads-up about the next Duxford air show on 5th October.. I live 20 minutes drive from there and may take my Son if his Rugby match isn't "away" that day.

A couple of years ago, the battle of Britain flight came over my house at about 1,000 feet, it was the most amazing thing to see them so close, I felt I could almost touch them.... called for my wife to get the camera but it came too late.... fantastic (I live on the flight path to Stansted Airport).....anyway... another tit-bit of information... after the Battle of Britain film was made in 1969(?) one of the fibre-glass mock-up spitfires was put outside the Queens Head pub in the village of Allens Green near Sawbridgeworth (where I live) - there was a WWII USAF base there (Allens Green) during the War (and an RAF one in Sawbridgeworth)..and remained there until about 10 years ago.. it was pretty realistic....

I can still tell the sound of a Spitfire well before I can see it.. been to so many airshows in the past :)
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
After 70 years, the Spitfire still stirs the heart - by Copper - 09-25-2008, 10:34 PM
RE: After 70 years, the Spitfire still stirs the heart - by Stryker - 09-26-2008, 07:57 AM