Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1
06-13-2008, 03:12 PM,
RE: Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1
Russian turn 10.
04:00 AM July 10, 1941
Dawn
Visibility 1km.

[Image: RT10VP.jpg]
Victory points after the Russian turn ten.

[Image: DotDsouthRT10.jpg]

If I’m lucky, the 10th panzer division is only resting and waiting for full daylight next turn to resume the attack behind 10th motorized. This would put all of von Nev’s marbles in one basket, making it easier for me to contain him.
The Germans have so many options at this point for 10th panzer. The weakness of the right flank of 10th Mot suggests:
a. 10th panzer will cross the river through the bridge on the south side of Mogilev and attack south behind the 10th mot which will push east. (blue arrow)
b. Or 10th pz will exit Mogilev to the west and move south on the west side of the Dnepr to cross behind the Russian lines and roll up my left flank. (red arrow)
c. Or 10th pz will exit Mogilev to the north and cross the Dnepr to drive toward one of the two northern exits. A northern move by 10th pz could also be made to cross where the marshes end (just north of this turn’s picture above) and drive south to cut off the retreat of any Russian formations still south of the city. That is a move I could more easily counter than a crossing farther north.

The Germans have some where around eight units left that can build bridges. This means they could create crossings every 5-6 hexes down the length of the entire river in the scenario. There are only 53 hexes in this scenario from north to south. There are nine total Axis units in the scenario capable of bridge building. von Nev has used one south of Mogilev, so he has eight left. Such bridges could be used as end game moves for the more mobile Germans forces if the Russians try to fight too far west. They could be used to set up fake attacks to draw the slower Russians to the north or south.
All will depend on where 10th pz moves in the next two turns. The longer the 10th pz remains hidden the more acute my problem of where to meet them will become.
I am now really feeling the loss of the recon bn’s inside Mogilev. The attempt to create an escape route for the city’s defenders failed.
With full day light coming next turn I might be able to determine where the 10th pz will be sent.
Considering these options, I have begun to position my southern most units for a run to the north where I will re-align all my remaining units in a hedge hog to protect the remaining VP hexes and the three exit hexes. Units of the 148th Rifle Division have slowed their advance to possibly have to shift south east to cover the rear of 187th Rifle Division’s move east.
Things look very black for the much slower Russian formations to win this race.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1 - by Dog Soldier - 06-13-2008, 03:12 PM