• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Air and Artillery by the Map Optional Rule for D85
01-15-2008, 01:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2008, 01:24 AM by Al.)
RE: Air and Artillery by the Map Optional Rule for D85
Quote:The only issue with balance is that by selecting this it basically allows all artillery to be massed and used with equal effectiveness regardless of their organization. In a MC game this can be very deadly.

In my opinion, the primary use of the optional rule is like I already said; indiction with artillery mines & chemicals. Although, if enough artillery was in range & a target indentified by whatever means massed artillery would be very effective.

Quote:1. If this optional rule allows massed artillery targeting as you describe, is this an accurate and realistic portrayal of what modern artillery can do? Is such a doctrine and capability appropriate to the NATO and Pact armies?

I think so, although I believe that NATO was more sophisticated in it's targeting means & methods.

Quote:2. On the strict question of balance, does it make sense to enable the arty setup optional rule as a counterweight?

3. Is there any reason NOT to use the arty setup rule? e.g. is it regarded as less realistic?

I have witnessed even towed artillery set up & firing within the equivalent of a MC game turn.

Balance versus realism is always a tricky issue. My own personal preference is realism & I consider artillery setup OFF and targeting by the map ON as most realistic. Your mileage may vary.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Air and Artillery by the Map Optional Rule for D85 - by Al - 01-15-2008, 01:22 AM