• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tactical Doctrine Question
11-13-2007, 10:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2007, 10:04 AM by Sgt Barker.)
Tactical Doctrine Question
Surfing when I should be working came across something that's bothered me for a while. At least since the final battle scene of Saving Private Ryan.

What are the rules, the doctrine, about personel shooting "through" friendly forces? Does it vary by nation? Thinking about WWII technology here, but applies to modern as well.

A last scene in Private Ryan shows the paras setting up for the German assault, with some of the troops in foxholes/craters at the end of the street. One view shows, I think, Hanks looking straight at where the Germans will approach, and what's in front of him? Tom Sizemore's head, poking up from another crater about 10 feet away. Right in the line of fire.

"Well, movies aren't real life." But what are the rules in real life when dealing with, say, a company advancing while another gives covering fire? On level ground it doesn't seem like the best plan to shoot "through" your mates. Are there any standards, ala, "no friendlies within a 45 degree arc?" Can't imagine it's just "use common sense," military's love of things being by the book and all.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Tactical Doctrine Question - by Sgt Barker - 11-13-2007, 10:02 AM
RE: Tactical Doctrine Question - by Jim von Krieg - 11-13-2007, 01:03 PM
RE: Tactical Doctrine Question - by AlienXXX - 01-08-2008, 12:32 AM