• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Pillboxes and bunkers
05-11-2007, 08:19 AM,
RE: Pillboxes and bunkers
Finally stirred up some interest!!!!

As I said previously,(I think) 350 odd games gives one a feel for these issues, but I was less clear in specifying what I thought was the core of the problem -those many scens below say size 8 where you never have enough time strength or smoke to take them, nor enough space/time to go around. Earl summed this up nicely - they have little or no place in these scens -except many of those scens presently exist, and because of the bunker/PB issue become of little value for PBEM, which is our main business.

I note the Command Sergeant Major's comments with due respect but find some comforting generalisations in his approach. Presumably the foe, if he has any arty, will NOT refrain from laying a barrage around the target, thus keeping the attackers in a more or less disrupted state. The troops in the bunker will carefully select their targets. There is usually not an unlimited supply of smoke etc.

Of course if the inhabitants are disrupted they can be assaulted often successfully with one weak Platoon. It is gaining the disruption in the first place that is the problem.

On this issue, Legion raised this matter privately with me, inter alia reminding me of the limited visibility inherent in real Bunkers/Pillboxes. And of course the AT gun inside does not have instantaneous training over its 360 deg arc of visibility. Is there any way this could be nodified in the game as it presently exists -high walls perhaps?

Cheers
KKR
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Pillboxes and bunkers - by K K Rossokolski - 05-08-2007, 03:02 PM
RE: Pillboxes and bunkers - by Montana Mud - 05-09-2007, 05:06 AM
RE: Pillboxes and bunkers - by K K Rossokolski - 05-10-2007, 05:03 PM
RE: Pillboxes and bunkers - by Von Earlmann - 05-10-2007, 10:26 PM
RE: Pillboxes and bunkers - by RedDevil - 05-10-2007, 11:06 PM
RE: Pillboxes and bunkers - by Nort - 05-11-2007, 04:19 AM
RE: Pillboxes and bunkers - by RedDevil - 05-11-2007, 04:23 AM
RE: Pillboxes and bunkers - by K K Rossokolski - 05-11-2007, 08:19 AM