• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stalingrad Mobile Divisions
09-11-2006, 02:08 AM,
RE: Stalingrad Mobile Divisions
I'm currently playing Fury in the SS to the Rescue scenario as the Germans. At the start of our game, I made a very high risk decision to move the entire 6th Army to the southwest and try and avoid the formation of the Kessel. However, after about 40 turns, It's become apparent to me that this strategy was a mistake. The infantry moves too slowly, and there's no avoiding the Kessel. Except in my case, it's going to form near Kolach. This of course is bad, as I will have lost all control of the Airfield supply sources by then. Once this occurs, the end wont be long in comming.
Sure enough, as Aolain, indicates, the mobile divisions could have been removed to the West relatively easily, but it's my oppinion that the infantry would never be able to survive long enough for the mobile divisions to make a rescue. The strength and mobility of the mobile divisions are vital to maintaining the pocket long enough for the SS divisions in the west to come into play. I suspect that if the infantry were left alone, they would be cut up pretty easily long before a cohesive pocket could be formed. Then, what units were left inside a weak and small pocket would be destroyed long before the SS could make a rescue attempt. And even if they weren't, the Soviet side could concentrate a large part of his forces to the West to keep the SS at bay.

Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Stalingrad Mobile Divisions - by Aolain - 09-10-2006, 04:09 AM
RE: Stalingrad Mobile Divisions - by Dog Soldier - 09-10-2006, 11:32 AM
RE: Stalingrad Mobile Divisions - by Grrr - 09-11-2006, 02:08 AM
RE: Stalingrad Mobile Divisions - by von Nev - 09-11-2006, 05:42 AM
RE: Stalingrad Mobile Divisions - by Jazman - 09-11-2006, 07:35 AM
RE: Stalingrad Mobile Divisions - by Grrr - 09-11-2006, 11:01 AM