• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTCS - Viet Nam
06-07-2019, 12:49 AM,
RE: JTCS - Viet Nam
To Dave and all.
I really think I gave up on CSME exactly at the right time for me. 2cents2

And, it is for all the things that were stated.

1) The bugs. The bugs. And, the more bugs. We were the experimental goats. And, IMO, we were mistreated by the DEV team when we tried to get them fixed. From the programmer to the "leader". I was met with arrogance early on and it did not let up. No, they should have been nicer to their "beta testers"? Whip
2) The scenarios were mostly crap. None seemed designed for H2H even if they said they were.
3) The excuse that "we" did not know how to play using "modern tactics". It was a bludgeon that battered us into submission. Warrior2 
4) And, for me (and maybe me alone) the changes to the LOS rules really sucked. But, "you have to play with them" was the response. (At that point I offered up my copy to the first response. And, shipped it free to them.) Thank you 3

No. No. And, more no. I'm not going to play crap and be told that I am not "getting it" because I play JTCS. "That", guys, is not going to happen. I won my fair share of ME scenarios I played, both early and later periods of warfare.

I am posting this because I believe in clarity over agreement. I hope I was clear? Scale

I said I may purchase it. It is not about the money. It may be about the experience. And, if the experience is the same as ME someone is going to get a free copy shipped to them for free.

That's all I am saying.

Farmer

HSL
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2019, 05:05 AM,
I  will be picking it up.
06-07-2019, 09:51 PM,
(06-06-2019, 10:37 AM)Ivan The Big Wrote: A lot of what Dave says is true.

But I will add this, all or most of us JTCS guys were not weaned on the Middle East. Our vision and tunnel vision I might add is based solely through the years on the one and only World War 2!!

Our breath, our eyes, our hearts and our minds are fixated with that war. When you take us out of that history window we get confused, puzzled, anxious and eventually pissed because its not World War II!! Its not the D-Day invasion, its not sweeping tank battles across the Russian steppes, its not running across the Western Desert or slogging through the mountains of Italy.

Think, Think guys, when we were young men growing up with our first board war games it wasn't the Middle East but it was WWII! I think I had 20 board WWII games before I even saw a Middle East war game and that's the freaking truth!!

What I'm trying to say is don't shelve CSME or CS'Nam based on past prejudices. Warfare changed a sh*t load since those days 75+ years ago. CSME is different in its execution but I still love playing around with it. I've made a couple of scenarios with CSME and I do wish I had more time to make more!

As for CS'Nam I feel it will blow your ass away because the War in Vietnam is nothing like WWII or the Arab-Israeli Wars. Battles in 'Nam were not fought with tanks banging away at each other but instead tanks were used in infantry support. Helos ruled they day because he who got there the fastest with the mostest usually prevailed. But lets not forget about "Charlie" he was a devious clever foe!! He would show up for a few minutes, do his damage and then be gone back into the jungle.

If the Dev Team can, and I feel they will, pull off what the war in Vietnam was like, hell I'll by a few copies and give them to the younger generation coming up behind me. Hell I was a teenager and lived through that war almost every night on the family TV. Its part of me, I can't forget it.

A year or so ago I reached a crossroad with the Campaign Series. I see where its going and I love and embrace it. I also remember where it came from and I still love its past and where it came from. Hence my inner conflict.

But I figure I'm not getting any younger and I have spent so much time with CS, 20 years now, I want to see where it goes. In my mind the possibilities are endless!

Ivan the Big Cigar5

Guilty as charged I only play WW II stuff with the exception of Rising Sun. So, I am a no buy for either ME or Nam.
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
06-16-2019, 01:17 AM,
(06-05-2019, 11:59 AM)Scud Wrote: Curious to know who among us will be buying into JTCS - Viet Nam when it's finally released. 

Dave

Not me.   I got DGVN and still play it with a couple of others.   It meets my VN fix and honestly I am still playing lots more WF/EF.

J
06-16-2019, 04:50 AM,
Wow, really? Have you even looked at the new game?!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
06-16-2019, 09:24 PM,
Mike, I honestly believe your comment reflects what is wrong in the development team.

If DG/VN floats a boat why try to sink it with a different boat the sailor does not want?

Farmer

HSL
06-17-2019, 06:07 AM,
Not what I meant Ed, I have it too, and it's cool for now, but won't hold a candle to VN when it's out, don't know why one would not try it? Whatever though, to each his own, right?
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
06-18-2019, 07:30 AM,
Agreed. To each his own.

Farmer

HSL
06-20-2019, 05:14 AM,
It's a first-day purchase for me. I really enjoy the Mideast game. I'm a WW2 guy too, but I've really dug-in and learned about the Arab-Israeli Wars. The 1948 and 1956 wars are more like small WW2 actions than modern wars. The Israeli invasion of Lebanon is an untapped area for more scenarios. I've designed a number of scenarios and really enjoy them. Although Israel won the War decisively, many of the battles between Syrian forces and the IDF were hard-fought. Lebanon was more about ambush warfare and positional mountain warfare than it was about massive modern armies slugging it out.

I've enjoyed the DG/VN mod but I really look forward to the new scenarios, maps, and Lua functionality in the Vietnam release. Modern warfare is deadly and I think the CS MiddleEast reflects the capriciousness of the modern battlefield. I hope Vietnam depicts the unique scale and challenges soldiers faced during the Vietnam conflicts.

Thank you for all of the hard work the development team has put in over the years. Can't wait for CS Vietnam!
06-29-2019, 09:50 PM,
(06-20-2019, 05:14 AM)KevinJ Wrote: It's a first-day purchase for me.  I really enjoy the Mideast game.  I'm a WW2 guy too, but I've really dug-in and learned about the Arab-Israeli Wars.  The 1948 and 1956 wars are more like small WW2 actions than modern wars.  The Israeli invasion of Lebanon is an untapped area for more scenarios.  I've designed a number of scenarios and really enjoy them.  Although Israel won the War decisively, many of the battles between Syrian forces and the IDF were hard-fought.  Lebanon was more about ambush warfare and positional mountain warfare than it was about massive modern armies slugging it out.  

I've enjoyed the DG/VN mod but I really look forward to the new scenarios, maps, and Lua functionality in the Vietnam release.  Modern warfare is deadly and I think the CS MiddleEast reflects the capriciousness of the modern battlefield.  I hope Vietnam depicts the unique scale and challenges soldiers faced during the Vietnam conflicts.

Thank you for all of the hard work the development team has put in over the years.  Can't wait for CS Vietnam!

Same for me - will purchase Day one! The more I play ME the more it grows on me and with the new features that Jason and Team have come up with - it does breath some new life into these games we have been playing for so many years! And yes - to each their own! Cannot wait!!