• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

S'43...."Error reading file"
08-20-2010, 12:39 AM,
S'43...."Error reading file"
I have no idea why I see this "error reading file" from my opponent.

We've explored every possibility-failure to end turn, both using the same version of the game, etc.

My opponent says when he tries to open the file the game requests my password. Very good.

But when I get the same file I get the "Error reading file."

What could cause this?
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2010, 02:28 AM,
RE: S'43...."Error reading file"
An altered map, oob or pdt would do it. (Maybe the scn file too.) I would compare dates on those.

Somebody is not in synch.
08-20-2010, 03:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2010, 04:00 AM by Ischukin.)
(08-20-2010, 12:39 AM)HirooOnoda Wrote: I have no idea why I see this "error reading file" from my opponent.

We've explored every possibility-failure to end turn, both using the same version of the game, etc.

My opponent says when he tries to open the file the game requests my password. Very good.

But when I get the same file I get the "Error reading file."

What could cause this?

Send me "damaged" file on [email protected] I've had same problems and found unusual decision. May be I can help, may be not. Send and we'll see
08-20-2010, 05:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2010, 05:44 AM by Glenn Saunders.)
Well Larry - if your getting this error than something is different. EITHER

a) You are not loading the exact same BTE file. So I would assume that you have:
- zipped the file when you sent it
and
- confirmed the file you are loading at both ends not only has the same NAME but also the exact same DATE, TIME and SIZE

b) IF this is correct then I would suggest the issue is one of you is running an ALT or Modified Scn. If this is the first turn of the game then this is likely the case, but isn't likely if this is a turn in Progress of a game\scn that you guys have already played complete turn.

You see the BTE file calls or refers to a MAP and OOB and a PDT - and the MAP is often a SUB MAP which calls a MASTER Map file.

So if player #1 starts the Scn using an ALT or MOD Scn which uses a different OOB or PDT for instance, and you don't have that file, then you get an Error reading file.

c) You could get an error like this is the game version is a MISMATCH and Player #1 is using a newer EXE which calls a new feature in a PDT and your game isn't upgraded and you have the older EXE which doesn't recognize something in the file.

d) The last possibly - which is not really likely - is that both of you are running the same version, and NO MODS or anything and that somehow you have deleted, renamed or corrupted one of the Game files like the MAP, SubMAP, OOB or PDT file - but if this were the case other default scn would not load either and I suspect this is not the case.

That is about all I can think that would generate a error like this.

Glenn
Send this user an email