• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: What is your favorite recon unit?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Sniper
46.43%
13 46.43%
AT team
0%
0 0%
LMG team
28.57%
8 28.57%
1/2 squad
17.86%
5 17.86%
none of the above
7.14%
2 7.14%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What is your favorite recon unit?
09-09-2009, 04:54 AM,
RE: What is your favorite recon unit?
Der Kuenstler Wrote:I'm surprised no one has picked the AT team - these guys can really play havoc with overly aggressive tanks in the early minutes when on the front lines...probably best for a short LOS battle...

DK,

I think most are thinking of the sole purpose of recon role only. I am. I attach AT teams to platoons with good leaders to boost their offensive power, as I do LMG. My opinion is that AT teams have a limited range and may watch but rarely do much about flanking enemies. Of course terrain considerations may change that philosophy.

I may have strayed off topic myself here, but looking at the question again, I would adjust my vote from LMG to half squad. If I am moving forward and probing for the enemy or toward the objectives, then I would use half squads. I also only use the half squads that have the rifles/assault guns. The LMG in the other half squad is for overwatch as the firepower is greater at a further distance.

I keep the LMG's with the leader for the added bonus and for the firepower to be concentrated when contact is made. I do use LMG on the flanks as well to scout forward a short distance, then stay put and watch over areas that may give the enemy an avenue of approach - ESPECIALLY when I use all my forces for a drive and have no extra forces for a flanking movement myself.
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2009, 06:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-10-2009, 01:48 AM by Soldier.)
I go with Vet LMG's and BAR for the Allies In CMAK.
In CMBB for the Russians the ever so plentifull ATR's do just fine. Again, pick the better more experienced crews, Vets that is.
For the German side the LMG's and Snipers will do.
09-09-2009, 08:45 AM,
LMG teams also make great surrogates for tanks commanders who want to hop down and take a look over the hill or out of the trees, they're cheap enough that you can always buy several and assign a couple as tank riders. Not always needed given the way CM's world operates where any unit spotting an enemy = all units spot the enemy, but the can be useful sometimes.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
09-10-2009, 06:12 AM,
I like to use the LMG teams or 1/2 squads for scouting. Snipers are too expensive to lose and are a much more valued asset in my forces.[/i]