• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

GD Tournament
10-22-2008, 02:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-22-2008, 03:30 PM by Volcano Man.)
RE: GD Tournament
If everyone can post their scores with their results then, in the future, I can better balance the scenario around them accordingly. Estimations are fine (ie. "about 450 points").
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2008, 06:35 PM,
Me (Germans) and Sja_sky (French) have completed our game some time ago. Final result was a Minor German victory with 494 points.
10-23-2008, 12:12 AM,
You guys did good keeping it under 500 points, I think. My forward forces got isolated and destroyed early on, final score around 560, I think.

VM, a suggestion if you tweak the scenario is to rearrange the starting defenders to prevent an early German move behind the units at the objective - and moving the reserves closer would be good also, releasing so they have time to counterattack at least. Even then, the German strength makes this a tough one to stop.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
10-23-2008, 08:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2008, 08:11 AM by SGT Rice.)
Because of the single 500 point VP location, the Germans don’t have to cover their flanks or secure jump-off positions for the next day’s advance (as they did historically), they just seize the village and curl up in a ball to keep the tardy French counterattack from threatening the VPs. I would suggest reducing the VP count for the Stonne hex to the 200-300 point range and relocating those VPs to road junctions / bridges / villages in the vicinity that the Germans would need to flesh out a secure position.
10-23-2008, 11:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2008, 11:14 AM by Volcano Man.)
Great info, I will look into it. Thanks.

Some people here have the misconception that the _Alt compounds problems with play balance over the stock games (I heard someone make this remark before), but honestly it depends a lot on how well the stock scenario was play balanced *for H2H play* and from there it is usually just a matter of small tweaks to get just right.
Send this user an email
10-23-2008, 02:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2008, 02:44 PM by von Nev.)
Spoiler alert . . . .

As the French in this scenario I realized at the start of turn 2 that they were toast and I would lose the scenario. Since I saw no way to hold the 500 VP hex in the face of A morale Germans I abandoned the VP hex and pulled back and decided to just try to avoid a major loss.

Once a couple of infantry units released I tried a pathetic attempt to advance on the German town and was slaughtered. I pulled back and waited for the rest of the French armor to release. Once the French armor released I had ONLY the French armor next to the Germans for the remainder of the game. This reduced counterfire damage significantly and the French armor chewed up a bunch of German infantry units. The French armor eventually disrupted one that was preventing me from getting adjacent to the VP hex/town and I assaulted it thus getting a stack of French armor next to the VP hex/town. The last turn was spent beating up on German infantry and AT guns on the VP hex. This strategy got me to around 450 VPs.

In retrospect I think the Germans could have really routed the French if my opponent went on the offense. The French infantry was just too weak and were disrupting all over the place. I would have been forced to pull back the French armor and try to prevent the infantry from being surrounded.
10-23-2008, 11:50 PM,
SGT Rice Wrote:Because of the single 500 point VP location, the Germans don’t have to cover their flanks or secure jump-off positions for the next day’s advance (as they did historically), they just seize the village and curl up in a ball to keep the tardy French counterattack from threatening the VPs. I would suggest reducing the VP count for the Stonne hex to the 200-300 point range and relocating those VPs to road junctions / bridges / villages in the vicinity that the Germans would need to flesh out a secure position.

Great minds think alike. I suggested something similar to my opponent. I scored ~530 points in my victory.