• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

tactic of "dancing" and what to do about it
05-23-2024, 09:58 AM,
tactic of "dancing" and what to do about it
Panzer Campaigns and Modern all have the issue of an opponent moving in a stack (say, of tanks), fire a blast, move off, then can move in another stacks up to the hex stacking limits, fire, then also move off.

If this happens at night, or in bad weather, it is an almost impervious to harm and completely non historical.

Are there any bro rules long time gamers use to make this more fair and more historical?

Thanks Helmet Wink
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2024, 06:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2024, 06:53 PM by KAreil.)
RE: tactic of "dancing" and what to do about it
I'd have to check where in the latest manuals it is written, but IIRC there is a parameter available to the scenario designers to limit the amount of "fire from one hex" to counter exactly this.

EDIT: Found it on page 59 of the PzC manuals - it is not a parameter but linked to the stacking limit:

Quote:Hex Fire Limitation
To avoid a tactic where players move units into a single hex, fire twice, and then move out, over and over with different units, there is a limitation on the total amount of firing that can originate from a single hex. The Hex Fire Limitation rule says that for a stacking limit of X, at most 3 * X firings, measured in men equivalent strength, can originate from any one hex in a single turn.

For example, if the stacking limit was 1600. Then one stack of 1600 men could fire twice from a single hex, but if they were to leave and another stack of 1600 men enters the hex in that same turn, they could only fire once before the Hex Fire Limitation applied.

But re-reading your post I think you already knew that. I must admit that I've never found this to be that much of an issue in the matches I played.
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
05-24-2024, 12:43 AM,
Would have to agree with KAreil on this one that there isn't anything to do about it because it's already addressed in the rules.  If the stacking limit is say 3000 men equivalent what's the difference if your opponent leaves 3000 men in the hex and fires 3 times and stays, or rotates 3 stacks of 1000 men equivalents and fires once each?  I mean, if the enemy is bringing his tanks in and firing once and then pulling back that's just sound tactics if they're vulnerable if they remain in the hex.  It's unreasonable to expect your opponent expose his weaknesses to your strengths, no?
05-24-2024, 10:23 PM,
It's basically a probe on the operational level. It is best on surrounded units to get them to low ammo. Just my 2 cents.
05-31-2024, 04:01 PM,
I think the Hex Fire Limitation solves everything, even at night, even in bad weather. Without the Hex Fire Limitation optional rule, a player could move a unit into firing range, fire, move out of firing range and do the same thing with 20 other units in one turn, limited only by the stacking limits of nearby hexes. It would be just like a shooting gallery. That would really be non-historical. I guess you could argue that at night or in bad weather you would be hard to spot, so you would be impervious to most opportunity fire, but that would make the Hex Fire Limitation optional rule even more important, as it would keep non-historical situations from ever happening.