• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Don't you love it when you hit on a 2% shot?
05-03-2009, 10:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2009, 10:03 AM by Steel God.)
Don't you love it when you hit on a 2% shot?
No, I'm not talking about one of those low percentage kill shots with a Panther at 3000m, I'm talking about Mine That Bird the horse who won the Kentucky Derby at 50-1 odds this afternoon.

Don't know how many folks here watch the Derby (it's a requirement in my house for my wife), and I've seen some good ones, but this race was great. Dang horse was worth $9500 (that's not a typo) and was driven in a single trailer by it's owner (who is on crutches from a motorcycle accident) from New Mexico so he could enter the Derby. I love upsets, underdogs, and the average Joe climbing his way to the top of the heap.

Well done Mine That Bird for recording the second biggest upset in Derby history (I'll have to go google the biggest) LOL
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2009, 06:06 PM,
RE: Don't you love it when you hit on a 2% shot?
That was really something. I wonder who had a bet on him to win? For sure I've never been that lucky my MO is to be mostly unlucky.
Zap
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM,
Our local sports talk show was describing the generally poor win ratio of the favorite in the Derby. He explained that there's so much traffic and bumping and anything can happen, and he pointed out how many longshots have won. Admittedly he was talking about 10-1 longshots, not 50-1.
"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]
05-05-2009, 10:14 PM,
That's very true Chris. Back in the "good old days" horses weren't entered into races like the KD unless they were real quality with decent shots, thus fields were smaller, 6 to 8 horses, some times less. About 2 decades ago, the sport changed (as they all did), lots of corporate sponsors, the formation of "teams", and now trainers will put horses into a race like the KD to clog up the field on purpose. It's part of the reason a triple crown is much harder to attain in horse racing now.