• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Do you still like PzC, after all of the WW2 operational games?
09-18-2013, 12:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-18-2013, 12:01 AM by Joeyeti.)
Do you still like PzC, after all of the WW2 operational games?
Did not want to necro the original topic, so making this new one to gain feedback from veterans 5 years after...

After all those more recent operational WW2 PC wargames (War in the East, Decisive Campaigns WtP/CB, Command Ops - true, realtime, but still; and many others...) why do you still keep playing Panzer Campaign games?
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2013, 12:22 AM,
RE: Do you still like PzC, after all of the WW2 operational games?
Because we can.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
09-18-2013, 02:03 AM,
As a owner of close to 60 titles, I think the biggest three reasons for me is reliability, support, and enjoyment.

Years ago I use to go out and buy games based on their "eye candy" and I got burned too many times, so I don't do that anymore. Nothing like spending $30-$40-$50 dollars on a computer game and find out that your computer can't play it at all because your computer specs are not right, even though they are above what the minimum required advertised specs are showing to be.

These days when a new JTS game is released, I know that the game will work on my old computer and that 10 years from now, JTS will still be supporting that same game and many more. Good luck trying to find another gaming company who does.

I also enjoy playing my games in 2D. JT games are very "user friendly" and if you find yourself wanting to change the way the maps, units images, or in-game interface looks, you can normally find something to your liking very easily or even create your own.

I also find playing JT games very enjoyable especially via PBEM. For me, it is the only way I play. I have met a ton of good people playing these games. Also, if you have any game questions, it is very easy to find helpful people in the forum boards to help you out, and many times the people helping you out are the head game designers, scenario designers, play-testers, other game owners, etc. who know the game/series like the back of their hand.

For me, I get the most enjoyment and "bang for my buck" with John Tiller HPS and JTS games and that is why I continue to play and support them.
09-18-2013, 10:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-18-2013, 10:04 AM by smurf309.)
(09-18-2013, 02:03 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: As a owner of close to 60 titles, I think the biggest three reasons for me is reliability, support, and enjoyment.

Years ago I use to go out and buy games based on their "eye candy" and I got burned too many times, so I don't do that anymore. Nothing like spending $30-$40-$50 dollars on a computer game and find out that your computer can't play it at all because your computer specs are not right, even though they are above what the minimum required advertised specs are showing to be.

These days when a new JTS game is released, I know that the game will work on my old computer and that 10 years from now, JTS will still be supporting that same game and many more. Good luck trying to find another gaming company who does.

I also enjoy playing my games in 2D. JT games are very "user friendly" and if you find yourself wanting to change the way the maps, units images, or in-game interface looks, you can normally find something to your liking very easily or even create your own.

I also find playing JT games very enjoyable especially via PBEM. For me, it is the only way I play. I have met a ton of good people playing these games. Also, if you have any game questions, it is very easy to find helpful people in the forum boards to help you out, and many times the people helping you out are the head game designers, scenario designers, play-testers, other game owners, etc. who know the game/series like the back of their hand.

For me, I get the most enjoyment and "bang for my buck" with John Tiller HPS and JTS games and that is why I continue to play and support them.

i always enjoyed playing hex counter board wargames and i still play these games.i think hps comes very close to these games but with better options such as fow and the ease of pbem.the blitz gives plenty of info on this system which is great.

i just bought it never snows by mmp it is about opertion market garden
there are 5 maps lots of counters.still like to move the counters around by tweezers and looking at the whole setup.looks neat.Wink
09-18-2013, 10:11 AM,
There's nothing wrong with a good old fashion board game for sure. I find Tiller games cover that aspect well on the computer. I own War In The East and it's worth every dime if you like micro managing on a large scale. Just my opinion.
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
09-18-2013, 10:24 AM,
To me it's about the scale of the simulation, I think Panzer Campaigns just hits the right spot between the situation on the ground and the high level operational decisions.

I also like Command Ops, which has a very similar scale, but it's hard to arrange a multiplayer game in it.

WITE and Decisive Campaigns with their weekly turns and campaigns lasting for many months and years are just too detached from the action for me.
09-18-2013, 07:13 PM,
Yes, PzC is one of my favourites because the scale can cover more interesting situations than other titles with a little superior scale for me.

BUT i need add that games that are now or in proyect made me see that PzC needs a true improvement for example a way to prevent that units enter in isolated+low ammo in a single turn (here DC like SSG have a elegant solution) and maybe touch the code to made more agile how game solve shoots, turn resolution etc etc, other point is add support to team games, i never understand WHY in direct play you can create teams (you can divide troops between players to create teams) but in PBEM you cant do this (apart that in a team game now you see the enemy full turn not only the part about your particular area).

I am waiting a new title specially if finally we can see one using the last new feature added to PzC.
09-19-2013, 03:58 AM,
In addition to what everybody already said, it is my belief that these titles can be improved upon by creating a new air portion with squadron assignments for missions and zones. There are plenty of other things that can be done, that is just one example. Plus, at some point, several could be tied together as one massive scenario like the Med or France or both. It would be very large, yes, but I'd bet people would play it. Or portions say Dragoon was created and then somehow tied in with Normandy, MG and Bulge, or Sicily, Salerno and a new Italain campaign all tied together. Will these things ever happen? Perhaps not, but the possibility is there if they ever wanted to do it. Of course, there are still other areas eventually coming to PzCs and plenty of room for MCs as well. Campaigns can be tied together just like the three MCs since Danube came out. It is a good solid system with good solid support. The only game I have purchased since getting locked into JT's lot is Puresim Baseball 5 and now 6 is available as a free download. I will look at other wargames from time to time, but the thought of purchase is nonexistant. Trying to save for something I want here.

Would be nice to eventually see great campaign games of ACW, Naps, Colonial etc etc with plenty of historical detail rather than what I have seen from others so far. Maybe some day.