• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rubble effect on rail lines
12-08-2011, 02:24 PM,
Rubble effect on rail lines
I see in the manual that RUBBLE makes roads usable (although rubble allows road movement). I see no mention of rail lines.

Does anyone know if rail lines get impaired when towns are rubbled?

If they aren't, could this have been an oversight?
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2011, 06:03 AM,
RE: Rubble effect on rail lines
(12-08-2011, 02:24 PM)Liebchen Wrote: I see in the manual that RUBBLE makes roads usable (although rubble allows road movement). I see no mention of rail lines.

Does anyone know if rail lines get impaired when towns are rubbled?

If they aren't, could this have been an oversight?
Good question, only way to find out for sure is with a test, find a scenario with rail capacity and arty, rubble a rail hex and then try to move through it. ;)
12-09-2011, 06:52 AM,
I've only experienced this one time, but in a Minsk game I've already rail moved several units through a RUBBLE hex.
12-09-2011, 10:33 AM,
I think this is a bang for the buck issue. Just does not happen often enough. I suppose it was not considered to be a big issue.

Another way to view this....
In most places I know of in the world there are enough rail lines in large enough towns rail traffic could route around the RUBBLE in the hex and still be in the hex. Rail lines in urban areas usually are not close enough to large built up areas where the RUBBLE would affect them. In small rural villages, the rail line would run on the edge of the village. Again, not where it would be affected like the main road network. RUBBLE does not really represent huge piles of masonry, brick etc blocking every road or street in the RUBBLE hex. It just means enough of the main artery through the hex is blocked to slow the traffic through the urban area, even if this means the main roads are not fully blocked per se.

The RUBBLE is simulating the delay associated with navigating a strange town where a clear route through is not marked out. At least not until the engineers come in a mark the best route for army traffic, military police come up to handle traffic control etc. turning the hex from RUBBLE into rubble in game terms.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp