• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Patrol range
01-08-2009, 03:21 PM,
RE: Patrol range
U124IXB Wrote:So patrolling units can call down artillery?.Couple of more questions.1.do katuyshas rocket units get bunker benefits?
2.If you spot a unit with aerial reconnaissance an then move a unit into the newly spotted enemy unit(s) (by aerial recon) line of sight is it considered spotted for ground artillery purposes'?

The answers above are correct. I will just take them a step further.

If you are referring to the two hex spotting distance for patrolling units, then no artillery can be called by patrols. You can only call artillery on hexes in normal LOS due to visibility and terrain restrictions. The spotting unit must also be in command range of its parent HQ to call artillery, Detached units can not call artillery.

The Russian rocket units come in two flavors depending on the title. The rocket units that are set up on racks are considered gun types and thus would receive the bunker benefit in the hex.
The rocket units that are vehicle mounted would never recieve the bunker benefit.
No unit in travel mode receives and terrain or fortification benefit at all.

Moving a ground unit to spot for air and artillery strikes is only needed if the LAR OR is in effect. Without this OR, air recon units can spot units anywhere for artillery or air strikes attached to the same parent as the air recon unit.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2009, 03:23 PM,
James Ward Wrote:Thanks Glen.
In the parameters menu it only lists one deception range. Is the deception range the same for both sides?

That is correct James. One range is set in the pdt for all rules regarding deception and patrolling to negate deception unit effects.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
01-09-2009, 01:38 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:
U124IXB Wrote:So patrolling units can call down artillery?.Couple of more questions.1.do katuyshas rocket units get bunker benefits?
2.If you spot a unit with aerial reconnaissance an then move a unit into the newly spotted enemy unit(s) (by aerial recon) line of sight is it considered spotted for ground artillery purposes'?

The Russian rocket units come in two flavors depending on the title. The rocket units that are set up on racks are considered gun types and thus would receive the bunker benefit in the hex.
The rocket units that are vehicle mounted would never recieve the bunker benefit.
No unit in travel mode receives and terrain or fortification benefit at all.
Dog Soldier
Ah, good point on the Katyusha, I was thinking the question was whether they had benefits when firing at bunkers since the other questions were about arty fire, but when receiving fire you got that right on Brian. Thanks for catching that, I thought the question was a bit odd but that was because I appear to have misinterpreted it.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-09-2009, 02:02 AM,
Is Patrolling consider movement? If you patrol at night and are using the Night Fatigue rule would you gain fatigue? Also does the 2 hex spotting range hold true for night turns?
01-09-2009, 03:12 AM,
Hmmm....I know that the two hex spotting rule applies even at night, but I do not recall my units in Budapest gaining fatigue on patrol. I think not, since I left them on patrol for about 4 days....and we had Night Fatigue on.
01-12-2009, 06:01 AM,
James Ward Wrote:Is Patrolling consider movement? If you patrol at night and are using the Night Fatigue rule would you gain fatigue? Also does the 2 hex spotting range hold true for night turns?

Liquid Sky Wrote:Hmmm....I know that the two hex spotting rule applies even at night, but I do not recall my units in Budapest gaining fatigue on patrol. I think not, since I left them on patrol for about 4 days....and we had Night Fatigue on.

The best thing would be to set up quick test using a small scenario where there is night turns. Let us know what either of you find.

I think the unit should gain fatigue when patrolling at night. Fatigue relates to the condition unit as a whole and not just to physical soldiers being tired. Thus, if recombining companies results in the greatest company fatigue being transferred to the reconstituted battalion, I would think night fatigue should be accumulated for having patrols out at night. Otherwise it is a no brainer to put all units on patrol at night that are not in direct contact with the enemy since there is no cost to the commander for such a decision. That would be gamey IMHO.

Dog Soldier
- Wyatt Earp
01-12-2009, 06:24 AM,
Dog Soldier Wrote:Otherwise it is a no brainer to put all units on patrol at night that are not in direct contact with the enemy since there is no cost to the commander for such a decision. That would be gamey IMHO.

Dog Soldier

Dunno. The enemy might suddenly advance into direct contact and if that happens your outgoing fire is only 75% of normal (everything else being equal).
Send this user an email