• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Computer Assistance
06-04-2008, 11:40 AM,
Computer Assistance
I have a Dell laptop, now about three years old Intel Pentium 1.6 GHz, 512 mb of RAM, 53.0GB ROM about 35% used. Sufficient, one would hope, to play any Matrix CS game. Or is it? Currently testing a big RS scen -Iwo Jima, with a mate. First eight moves are bombardment, then the landing craft appear....... a lot, in a small space. I get my opponents move, load it into the directory ...third since the real action started, beach and shallows crowded with full and empty boats, , a Bn (-) out of the boats, a few wrecks, approaches crowded with boats in lines moving in. Replay fine, my air and arty fine,smoke shells OK, gets to almost the last 5'' NGS...then stops. I cannot believe my computer can't handle a CS game. I had no other programs up at the time. Move size 328 kb,map 4 kb, org 88kb scn 60kb.
I keep the machine cleaned out, defragged etc
Any thoughts would be most welcome
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2008, 12:09 PM,
RE: Computer Assistance
Memory I would say. 512 meg isn't that much these days. Mind you 512 meg would have been a huge amount when CS was first released.....but then that was with Windows 95/98.

I sometimes had trouble with 512 meg in my last PC. Present one has 2 Gig and no problems with any size scenario (eg the El Alamein monster team game).
06-04-2008, 11:41 PM,
RE: Computer Assistance
Yep, and memory is cheap KKR.

Computer memory that is. For the other, you need medication.

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.