• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Do you prefer the designer to set up your forces in a scenario?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes, I can change them later.
45.95%
17 45.95%
No. rather have my forces laid out in platoons etc
37.84%
14 37.84%
not really bothered!
16.22%
6 16.22%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Debate: set up or not???
09-07-2006, 04:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2006, 04:44 AM by Fredrocker.)
RE: Debate: set up or not???
Bidermann (FGM) hit the nail on the head... When designing, if you have any inkling of the scenario being played against the AI then you should position the forces... Cause on a 'free to be placed' AI setting, 99 out of 100 the AI does a crap job...

When playing, I like to see the forces placed, but not locked (unless a specified reason and its stated in the briefing)... There has been many a time when I am (+)ing thru my forces to see what I got and then noticed some nice terrain feature (usually elevation or a los/lof) I might have missed if the forces were put in company/platoon order... Plus it provides insight to what the designer is thinking (or in my case - not thinking :conf: )

That is all...

***** Fredrocker's Combat Mission Site *****"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Theodore Roosevelt
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2006, 10:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2006, 04:56 AM by Soldier.)
I play only with "free to set up" units, historical scenario or not.
If I am to replay a historical battle, or fictional for that matter, I'm still in charge right off the bat. Especially during set up/organizing, etc.
Set up is very important to the outcome of the battle, in fact just as important as tactics are during play.. :-)
09-07-2006, 09:59 PM,
RE:��Debate: set up or not???
Soldier Wrote:I play only with "free to set up" units, historical scenario or not.
I never really had any luck with the AI setting up units on its own... especially if you have larger setup zones... unless I am missing something, whenever I have experimented with 'Free to be placed' with the AI, it just gathers its units around the flags or shoves them off to one side... no two or three sided attack (granted it doesnt attack well either....) If I am missing something please advise...

That is all...

-FR
***** Fredrocker's Combat Mission Site *****"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Theodore Roosevelt
Send this user an email
09-08-2006, 04:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2006, 05:00 AM by Soldier.)
Sorry, failed to mention that I never play the AI.. :-)
Well, quit shortly after one or two practice games, soon I purchased the games, etc..
The AI absolutely Sucks.. :-)
I have lots of learning to do yet(speaking of tactics) and the AI can not possibly teach me a hell of a lot.
I feel that the AI has an IQ of a five year old kid, at the very most.. :-)
09-10-2006, 02:55 AM,
200 odd views and only 30 odd votes! :conf:
Must have a lot of shy members here :rolleyes: