• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
Creating SB Campaign Games - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Squad Battles (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Creating SB Campaign Games (/showthread.php?tid=74134)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Creating SB Campaign Games - Embis - 12-06-2020

I am sure I read a guide to creating campaign games in SB but I cant find it, I've worked out the basics from taking apart a ToD campaign but there are still some unknowns if anyone can shed light. Below is the contents of a basic .cpd file:

Quote:A Marine Captain In I Corps Early War
American-Marines
campaign/I Corps.bmp
Start: 15/03/66
End: 15/04/67
10 42 Alexander
Snip..snip..Descriptive text here...snip..snip

campaign/Alexander1.scn
campaign/Alexander2.scn
campaign/Alexander3.scn
campaign/Alexander4.scn
campaign/Alexander5.scn

What does the line in red do? what's the significance of the numbers? does this reference where he is in the oob? if so whats the code, it doesn't seem obvious

I'd really like to write some new campaign games, particularly for AotR but probably for other games in the series.

anything else I need to know about?

RE: Creating SB Campaign Games - Warhorse - 12-06-2020

(12-06-2020, 07:28 AM)Embis Wrote: I am sure I read a guide to creating campaign games in SB but I cant find it, I've worked out the basics from taking apart a ToD campaign but there are still some unknowns if anyone can shed light. Below is the contents of a basic .cpd file:

Quote:A Marine Captain In I Corps Early War
American-Marines
campaign/I Corps.bmp
Start: 15/03/66
End: 15/04/67
10 42 Alexander
Snip..snip..Descriptive text here...snip..snip

campaign/Alexander1.scn
campaign/Alexander2.scn
campaign/Alexander3.scn
campaign/Alexander4.scn
campaign/Alexander5.scn

What does the line in red do? what's the significance of the numbers? does this reference where he is in the oob? if so whats the code, it doesn't seem obvious

I'd really like to write some new campaign games, particularly for AotR but probably for other games in the series.

anything else I need to know about?

The 10 is his ID number in the oob file, and the 42 is his picture number used. In the BMP file in the Info folder, count from the beginning with 0, he is the 42nd. Hope this helps!?

RE: Creating SB Campaign Games - Embis - 12-06-2020

Brilliant, Thanks Warhorse!

RE: Creating SB Campaign Games - Warhorse - 12-06-2020

(12-06-2020, 10:55 AM)Embis Wrote: Brilliant, Thanks Warhorse!

You got it, just give a yell if you have any other questions, i've pretty much taken this old girl apart, still tinkering but love to find out what makes it tick!

RE: Creating SB Campaign Games - Embis - 12-09-2020

(12-06-2020, 12:58 PM)Warhorse Wrote:

You got it, just give a yell if you have any other questions, i've pretty much taken this old girl apart, still tinkering but love to find out what makes it tick!

..well you asked for it Smile ... Next question:

You say that the "10" is the individuals ID number in the OOB, well having looked at the OOB for the first scenario in that campaign, I cant see how his ID is 10? 

where do you count from and what do you count? or is the id number recorded somewhere?

RE: Creating SB Campaign Games - Warhorse - 12-09-2020

(12-09-2020, 03:40 AM)Embis Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 12:58 PM)Warhorse Wrote:

..well you asked for it Smile ... Next question:

You say that the "10" is the individuals ID number in the OOB, well having looked at the OOB for the first scenario in that campaign, I cant see how his ID is 10? 

where do you count from and what do you count? or is the id number recorded somewhere?
Sorry, didn't explain very well, open the cpd file in Notepad, then search for Alexander! Here is the platoon he commands-
L 10 5 42 CPT Alexander
        P 158 1/H-2/14
            Begin
            L 604 5 43 LT McPhee
                W 596 1 M-14
            S 159 10 5 37 1/1/H-2/14
                W 160 7 M-14
                W 161 2 M-79
                W 162 1 M-60 LMG
                W 163 2 M-72 LAW
            S 164 10 5 44 2/1/H-2/14
                W 165 7 M-14
                W 166 2 M-79
                W 167 1 M-60 LMG
                W 168 2 M-72 LAW
            S 169 10 5 25 3/1/H-2/14
                W 170 7 M-14
                W 171 2 M-79
                W 172 1 M-60 LMG
                W 173 2 M-72 LAW
            S 517 6 5 26 3.5" Bazooka Team
                W 523 2 M-20 Bazooka
Every Leader, weapon and squad, vehicle has a unique ID number with in the oob file, marked in red, the infantry type units then have a picture file in the Units.bmp file located in the Info folder. Counting from the top at 0 on down you can see what picture it uses!

That makes more sense, thank you.
Though I guess you meant to say open the .oob file, not the .cpd

Next problem!
I noticed that AotR comes without all the necessary graphic files needed for the menus and screens in the Campaign module, so I have made those, no problem with that and they all work in the campaign module. I have put together my CPD file which I will insert below, I have the scenarios, not finished, but they work when loaded directly from the select game dialogue in the game...so all is looking sweet.... Oh No it isnt.

When i run the campaign module to load my campaign I can click through the screens right to the point where the campaign module gives way to the main game and the scenario looks as if its going to load, then I get the error message that it is unable to load the scenario and I am left looking at the game screen with a single hex in the top left. Oddly enough I can then press "next turn" and cycle through to the end of the game and get a victory screen, well a defeat actually but I can end the game.

I have redone the scenarios from scratch, checked the OOBs many times, checked the CPD file. Cant see what the problem is at all> It did make me wonder if the campaign module isnt enabled properly in AoTR, since the game doesnt come with any ready made campaigns and as I said above, without the requisite graphic screens.. two days i have been working on this and I have a feeling I have hit a brick wall..any help gratefully received. Happy to send on all the files to anyone who wants to have a look at them.

.cpd file
A Soviet partisan leader in Belarus.
Soviet
Campaign/Partisan.bmp
Start: 03/07/41
End: 15/07/41
1701 6 Lt Kuznetsov
Partisans played a major role in resisting the advance of the Reich during operation Barbarossa in the summer of 1941.By July Minsk had been encircled and Smolensk was about to fall. The german invasion showed no sign of slowing. The partisans in Belarus harried the fragile German Lines of supply through acts of sabotage and direct military action. They are alleged to have killed up to 500,000 german troops.The savagery of the German Occupation is well known. If caught the greatest mercy a partisan could expect would be a swift execution.The same was true of any German soldier taken by the partisans. Atrocities were committed by both sides.This was no gentleman's war.

Liberate.scn
Sabotage.scn

RE: Creating SB Campaign Games - Warhorse - 12-10-2020

(12-09-2020, 11:33 PM)Embis Wrote: Next problem!
I noticed that AotR comes without all the necessary graphic files needed for the menus and screens in the Campaign module, so I have made those, no problem with that and they all work in the campaign module. I have put together my CPD file which I will insert below, I have the scenarios, not finished, but they work when loaded directly from the select game dialogue in the game...so all is looking sweet.... Oh No it isnt.

When i run the campaign module to load my campaign I can click through the screens right to the point where the campaign module gives way to the main game and the scenario looks as if its going to load, then I get the error message that it is unable to load the scenario and I am left looking at the game screen with a single hex in the top left. Oddly enough I can then press "next turn" and cycle through to the end of the game and get a victory screen, well a defeat actually but I can end the game.

I have redone the scenarios from scratch, checked the OOBs many times, checked the CPD file. Cant see what the problem is at all> It did make me wonder if the campaign module isnt enabled properly in AoTR, since the game doesnt come with any ready made campaigns and as I said above, without the requisite graphic screens.. two days i have been working on this and I have a feeling I have hit a brick wall..any help gratefully received. Happy to send on all the files to anyone who wants to have a look at them.

.cpd file
A Soviet partisan leader in Belarus.
Soviet
Campaign/Partisan.bmp
Start: 03/07/41
End: 15/07/41
1701 6 Lt Kuznetsov
Partisans played a major role in resisting the advance of the Reich during operation Barbarossa in the summer of 1941.By July Minsk had been encircled and Smolensk was about to fall. The german invasion showed no sign of slowing. The partisans in Belarus harried the fragile German Lines of supply through acts of sabotage and direct military action. They are alleged to have killed up to 500,000 german troops.The savagery of the German Occupation is well known. If caught the greatest mercy a partisan could expect would be a swift execution.The same was true of any German soldier taken by the partisans. Atrocities were committed by both sides.This was no gentleman's war.

Liberate.scn
Sabotage.scn
Maybe a dumb question, but are the scn files in the Campaign folder? If you like, send me what you have in entirety, I will give it a look-see?

RE: Creating SB Campaign Games - Embis - 12-10-2020

Have tried all combinations for the file locations and made sure that I edited the CPD file to reflect that, it makes no difference. Most recently I have put all the oob map and Scn files into the campaign folder. I will send you a zip with everything in, if you would have a look I would be very grateful. Thanks Mike. I am pretty sure i am making some simple mistake, 

The scenarios themselves open without any problem independently, its only when I try and use them from within the campaign module that it falls over.