• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
What are you SB guys looking for? - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Squad Battles (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What are you SB guys looking for? (/showthread.php?tid=73733)

Pages: 1 2 3

What are you SB guys looking for? - Warhorse - 08-07-2020

I just visited this page for like the umpteenth time today, and saw there were 20 guests, but no posts?! What are you guys doing/looking for? Some input would be good, I would love this series to thrive, am trying hard to advance it, but seems to be a dead end. There will be a lot of complaining about the top down stuff, but when I post anything about introducing the Blitzkrieg or any enhancements, there is NO input, what gives? If it is to be a dead end, I will just go away, and let this thing die, I love the series and would love to perpetuate it for a long time to come, but it seems a brick wall.

RE: What are you SB guys looking for? - Big Ivan - 08-07-2020

As you know Mike, I'm just getting into this game. There is no denying the fact that you and I have a long long history with the Campaign Series and a good history!! Smile

I like very much what you are doing now with the 2D graphics especially in AotR and Forgotten War. Superb!! The addition of the Norwegians and Ethiopians to AotR are above and beyond the call IMHO. I enjoy our Forgotten war SOSA team game and out test of the Greeks vs the Italians in AotR going on right now.

We have talked, as you know, in length in the past about conversion of some of my old ASL scenarios to SB. Though they were written eons ago when I was a younger man, I still think the SB games lend themselves very well to a lot of the old ASL stuff. In the same breath some of the Campaign Series game stuff would work too, provided its a small CS scenario converted to SB.  Brigades fighting it out in SB would be crazy at best!

What I would like to see:

1) Better top down vehicle graphics. The ones you are working on now are a huge step in the right direction.

2) More and more and more scenarios. (Step up here SB guys).

3) Not in your park Mike and its beyond your capability. But the map editor falls way short. Sorry I am spoiled by the map editor in the Campaign Series Games.

4) Everyone can always need new equipment!!

5) I know this is way beyond what your trying to do here Mike with SB! But maybe somebody from Tiller will listen. How about Armor facing and armor leaders?

6) Viewing organizations on the map IMO are kind of clunky. Again maybe an upgrade on the engine from Tiller is needed. The highlighting by company or alternate markings or organization viewing are pretty poor IMO.

Tigers on the Hunt from Matrix is a game that depicts squad battle very well. As you know its kind of like ASL but in the same sentence you and I agreed it needs some more work because it seems clunky. 

Squad Battles is not as clunky, but it suffers sometimes from boredom because you can have squads all over the playing board in good order, disrupted, pinned and demoralized and not doing a damn thing to help themselves! Also the "On the ground" thingy is excessive. If all the troops in WWII spent as much time on the ground as the platoons do in SB the war would still be going on today.

Other issues we can get into at a later time are unit movement and fire combat. I've poured a butt load of firepower into an enemy hex and the enemy is still living!!!!!????? They haven't scattered all over the damn place? They are not dead? Hmmm something is a miss there I think.

Thanks for what you do Mike trying to make this game better!

Big Ivan Cigar5

RE: What are you SB guys looking for? - Sean - 08-07-2020

I like the various mods that are available and would like to see more.Early war is interesting,I like the early French Tanks for example.Would like to see your Blitzkrieg mod,what game is it based on?

Also I would like a 2D mod for a Squad Battles Title that shows the infantry in a 3/4 view not just top down,like the Panzer Grenadier series of Board Games.

As well although I may be in the minority, but I like the Silhouette view for Vehicles,like the old Panzer leader Board Game.I prefer the Silhouette to be pretty big too,a lot of mods that use this style have tiny pics.

I like the 3D Unit models mode on occasion too,maybe more work in that direction,but same thing most people probably don't use it.

Another idea with the overhead view for Vehicles counters,maybe make all friendly forces face east and all opfor forces face west maybe?

Finally the ASL Boardgame style of infantry counters,but with some variation in the counters not just the same picture over and over,particularly maybe interesting leader counters with only a single figure.

Sorry for so many wants.

RE: What are you SB guys looking for? - GWolf - 08-08-2020

Hello, I'm fairly new to the club, I had posted before on the Top Down, would really love to see the Classic portraits back as an option. They really had a nice look to them and fit the game well.

Thank you for all your great work.

Be Safe to all and Family,

GWolf

RE: What are you SB guys looking for? - Warhorse - 08-08-2020

(08-08-2020, 01:44 AM)GWolf Wrote: Hello, I'm fairly new to the club, I had posted before on the Top Down, would really love to see the Classic portraits back as an option.  They really had a nice look to them and fit the game well.

Thank you for all your great work.

Be Safe to all and Family,

GWolf

Actually am working on this right now! Rich Hamilton asked me to redo the side view again, it is taking some time, but getting there, pretty happy with the results!

(08-07-2020, 01:07 PM)Barly Wrote: I like the various mods that are available and would like to see more.Early war is interesting,I like the early French Tanks for example.Would like to see your Blitzkrieg mod,what game is it based on?

Also I would like a 2D mod for a Squad Battles Title that shows the infantry in a 3/4 view not just top down,like the Panzer Grenadier series of Board Games.

As well although I may be in the minority, but I like the Silhouette view for Vehicles,like the old Panzer leader Board Game.I prefer the  Silhouette  to be pretty big too,a lot of mods that use this style have tiny pics.

I like the 3D Unit models mode on occasion too,maybe more work in that direction,but same thing most people probably don't use it.

Another idea with the overhead view for Vehicles counters,maybe make all friendly forces face east and all opfor forces face west maybe?

Finally the ASL Boardgame style of infantry counters,but with some variation in the counters not just the same picture over and over,particularly maybe interesting leader counters with only a single figure.

Sorry for so many wants.
My mod is called the SB WW2 Mod, based on aoTR, and includes combat from 1935 Italian invasion of Ethiopia, through Blitzkrieg, first phase. Has battles between Slovakia and Hungary early on, Polish Invasion, Italo-Greek War, French vs German, Norway vs. Germans, British vs Germans, and Ashley Mcleod is offering a few South African goodies! It will be released soon, sorry no option for side view in it, as there are over 500 vehicles in the mod now, and a lot of countrys, but good news, leaders are sinfgle counters! Combat has been modified so more results by fire, armor and penetration has been updated for more realistic results as well, multiple weapon loads involved now too! Stay tuned! We are testing the 17 odd scenario's that exist so far, want to get a few more before releasing it. Second phase is the Desert War!!

RE: What are you SB guys looking for? - GWolf - 08-08-2020

Great news! Thank you!

RE: What are you SB guys looking for? - gabeeg - 08-08-2020

I pop in usually a couple times a week to check out if there are new mods (looking forward to the more classic style unit view mod). I also look for any interesting posts to read. Mainly I lurk these days...but SB is still my favorite Tiller series. Keep up the good work Warhorse it is appreciated!
During the sale I finally bought Pacific War (and completed my WWII SB collection)...that meant I had to down Africa at War. Been playing a bit of solo against the AI, but will be getting back into SB PBEM when I get some time.

Thanks for all the comments guys, very reassuring to have folks piping up! I was since the time when Campaign Series East Front came out, mostly platoon combat, aside from my ASL days. But after experiencing SB while helping out Rich only last year or so, fell in love with this series, it is by far my favorite. I am amazed at what can be done with the pdt files, and am tinkering to find out what everything does, since it is largely undocumented. The addition recently of the map editor is a true bonus, I love to make scenario's, which is what prompted me to start these mods. Hopefully in the near future maybe JT will take a look at the recent additions and make some things official, would be dynamite! Keep it coming folks, who knows what can happen, squeaky wheel gets the oil and all!!

RE: What are you SB guys looking for? - kolc - 08-10-2020

Been a long time player of the SB series so I do appreciate all efforts to keep it going. As always it is my "goto" game for PBEM. Really do like seeing the lesser known campaigns and "minor" nation troops. Really fits into the SB scale. Not playing too much PBEM lately but will likely get more games going as summer turns to fall.