• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
CMBB QB ME DAR: Soviet vs Wittman, June 1944 - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Combat Mission (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Forum: CM AAR/DAR Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+---- Thread: CMBB QB ME DAR: Soviet vs Wittman, June 1944 (/showthread.php?tid=67581)

Pages: 1 2

CMBB QB ME DAR: Soviet vs Wittman, June 1944 - ekrommen - 02-01-2015

June 25, 1944, Belorussian Front

Ive been instructed to advance my recon company around village ____ at dawn. The air force reported an enemy column of tanks on the way to cut off our offensive in the flank. Already tasked to take the village was an infantry company from the ____ regiment. Army HQ will cover their advance with a rocket barrage while our tank brigade sends its reserve company and my recon company around to stop the enemy armor. I have access to the regiment’s mortar battery. The air force is committed to the main offensive and cannot assist.

OOB:
  • 1 company regulars (green) – advance directly on objective
  • Army rocket battery - preplanned strike on the far side of objective to destroy/ delay enemy
  • 1 company recon troops (experienced) – flank objective and identify enemy armor, pin enemy infantry
  • 1 section mortar (82mm)
  • 1 section AT rifle
  • 1 section HMG
  • 10 or so scout cars
  • Some snipers and AT bombs
  • Brigade’s reserve tank company: 9 T-34/85 tanks (3 outfitted with flamethrower) – neutralize enemy armor, destroy objective if enemy-occupied, destroy enemy infantry
  • Infantry regiment’s mortar platoon on call (120mm) – to support regulars or recon as needed with smoke or HE

Enemy forces – unknown, but the worst assumed, a reinforced panzer company or two

RE: CMBB QB ME DAR: Soviet vs Wittman, June 1944 - ekrommen - 02-01-2015

[Image: cmbbvswittsetup.png]

The battle group is ready. This map has 3 big churches, one of which will be the objective in the village. The other two support my flanks nicely. Ill locate my HMG section in the one nearest my start line. On each flank are 3 tanks, 3 scout cars, and 2 recon platoons. When the rocket barrage goes off, the infantry company walks forward, while the recon platoon double time it for the outside flags. The scout cars will move forward looking for the panzers. The T34s stay back until the panzers are spotted.

RE: CMBB QB ME DAR: Soviet vs Wittman, June 1944 - ekrommen - 02-03-2015

For the 1st turn plotting, I run into problems immediately.

First, I re discover that green level troops wont be able to do the human wave. I was counting on that for the last 100 meter dash into the village.

Second, I brought in a conscript level spotter for the Army level rocket barrage. I found out that the conscript spotter cant do the "Q" (delay prepared barrage), so I wont be able to target my preferred location right behind the village, where I believe he would bunch up after 2 or 3 turns. So I plotted to hit the setup area. Also I tried to use "P/pause" to see if it would give a delay to the barrage for 20 seconds. I think this messed up the prepared barrage entirely, since no barrage occurred, and the next turn I saw there was a 21 minute countdown to a non visible target. So plan C is to target something in sight (the spotter is located in the far left OP) that will hit later in the game. I picked out high ground overlooking the leftmost flag.

[Image: cmbbvswittturn1impactareas.png]

RE: CMBB QB ME DAR: Soviet vs Wittman, June 1944 - ekrommen - 02-03-2015

We reached our start line in time for our dawn assault. As usual, the Army staff sent some blockhead who couldn't put the opening barrage together in time. We couldn't wait, of course, so I had my XO handle the spotter, re positioning the target area and alerting the platoon leaders on the left flank to keep clear of the high ground at impact time.

As the sun peeked over the horizon behind us, the scout cars rolled off with some independent dismounts to flank the village area and look for the panzers. The recon platoons hustled forward in their wake. As the infantry company marched forward we heard the enemy.

[Image: cmbbvswittturn1panzers1.png]

[Image: cmbbvswittturn1panzers2.png]

Two panzer columns shot into view straight over the crest, one on each flank of the village, firing like madmen. Two rows of smoke rose like curtains on either flank of the village. Although the appearance and speed were unexpected, our officers and men showed no hesitation while implementing the plan. A few jokes were exchanged. Privately, I am a little worried about a direct panzer overrun through the village and the green company; I have only the HQ tank platoon as reserve in the center.

[Image: cmbbvswittturn1panzers3.png]

But overall my plan still looks valid and am just discussing minor alteration over the radio with the scouts.

My HMG section entered the church on the right flank. The mortar battery moved forward and setup, the lieutenant having an excellent view of the village. The regiments spotter is in contact with the heavy mortar battery and is ready for an on call barrage into the village at a couple minutes notice, either HE or smoke. We were very fortunate to have many good lines of sight into and around the village.

The tank platoon remained hidden. If the scouts find a clear path, either or both platoons will follow and fall on the flank of the panzers, expected to find positions on either flank of the village.

View from the left flank:
[Image: cmbbvswittturn1left.png]

RE: CMBB QB ME DAR: Soviet vs Wittman, June 1944 - ekrommen - 02-06-2015

[Image: cmbbvswittturn5dd.png]

Three more turns have passed. My recon, scouts and infantry company have moved forward without direct contact. There seems to be no enemy unit on either flank. Im able to get some better IDs on enemy units on the left, but the right flank enemies become invisible after the fourth turn. however, I have their general position.

I see absolutely no movement in the village. I suppose he knows its under direct observation from my the East since turn 1. I think I will get the company in the village without a problem and am actually thinking of getting into the church objective immediately. I re designated the 120mm battery to target the area behind the church. Ill use the HQ scout platoon to cut off access to the rear of the church, while also dropping off the HMG section in the objective if the regulars find it empty.

We've both had 5 turns to move as we like without interference. Im a little worried he's cooking up something I cant handle, but I'm fairly certain he hasn't any units at all in the flank areas that threaten me. Since I have some good contacts on the left, Ill start contact there. He has a PZ IV forward in the woods that my recon platoon will engage. As soon as I get scouts on the high ground looking north, Ill send out my tank platoon to this location to take out his tanks. On the right I still need to make contact.

RE: CMBB QB ME DAR: Soviet vs Wittman, June 1944 - ekrommen - 02-06-2015

[Image: cmbbvswittturn5b.png]
The regulars have crossed half the ground with no contact. I was worried as we spotted one of the panzers on the left side turn north on the road, headed for the objective. I was worried he would spot the platoon on the left. All troops and vehicles are under strict orders to not engage until I give the word, although I am worried about the conscripts in the rifle company.

I considered dropping smoke with either my own mortars or the regiments, but decided to risk it. In the end I decided to allocate the regiment's fire mission to the rear of the objective, as it seems it may be possible for the company to directly seize it.

[Image: cmbbvswittturn5c.png]

I have my HQ platoon of scout cars available as they have delivered the HMG section. I will use the HQ platoon to support the infantry company into the village. I also start to think I can re mount the HMGs if there remains no contact and deliver them directly to the objective.

Scouts on the right flank have lost thier contact with the AFVs. One has dropped off its snoopers, this team carrying our one RPG (anti tank grenade).

[Image: cmbbvswittturn5a.png]

On the left flank, one scout has a close call as it directly spots a Pz 4 after dropping off its AT rifle team. The Pz 4 was buttoned up and apparently missed spotting the scout. Showing excellent field coordination, the next nearest scout car halts and reroutes to avoid direct line of sight with the panzer. The Pz 4 is precariously forward and near woods. I've ordered my 2 recon platoons there to engage the tank if it remains there.

RE: CMBB QB ME DAR: Soviet vs Wittman, June 1944 - ekrommen - 02-09-2015

[Image: cmbbvswittturn6leftatwatch.png]

[Image: cmbbvswittturn6leftbigiron.png]

[Image: cmbbvswittturn6lefttank.png]

[Image: cmbbvswittturn6middleadvance.png]

[Image: cmbbvswittturn6middlemmgareafire.png]

[Image: cmbbvswittturn6middlepzlos.png]

[Image: cmbbvswittturn7rightcoverfire.png]

[Image: cmbbvswittturn8centerbarrageontarget.png]

[Image: cmbbvswittturn8centerhit1.png]

[Image: cmbbvswittturn8centerhit2.png]

[Image: cmbbvswittturn8rightenemytanks.png]