• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
JTS Campaign Overland Released - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Black Powder & Cold Steel (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=163)
+---- Forum: The American Civil War (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: JTS Campaign Overland Released (/showthread.php?tid=63367)

Pages: 1 2

JTS Campaign Overland Released - Compass Rose - 12-17-2012

[Image: 5ea8599bd1Overland%20Cover.jpg]

The Overland Campaign was like no other Civil War campaign, and shares more similarities with the First World War than with earlier battles such as First Bull Run and Shiloh, and was made more horrific by the meeting of passion and technology in the first of our "modern" wars. Gone was the old practice of marching out of camp to fight a battle and then, win or lose, marching back to camp to refit before fighting another. This campaign was a relentless struggle, a dance of death through tidewater Virginia, with the Union Army under U S Grant continually trying to outflank Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Every flanking maneuver found Lee's ragged veterans blocking the way. Grant was every bit as aggressive as Lee, and he had the manpower of the North to back him up. They started calling him "Butcher" Grant, and someone told him that his and Lee's armies would be like the Kilkenny cats that devoured each other. Grant grimly said, "Our cat has the longer tail." It was part of a two-pronged plan. Years later, Sherman summed it up by saying, "Grant was to go for Lee and I was to go for Joe Johnston".

Campaigns & Scenarios:
105 scenarios starting in the fall of '63 with the Mine Run Campaign, and on through May and June of '64, the main focus of the game being the battles of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania and Cold Harbor.

Scenarios range from small cavalry actions to a monster 1390 turn scenario covering the entire campaign on a single map spanning over 1 million hexes. (980 x 1088)

5 campaigns are included which cover the topic from various aspects. From a cavalry only campaign to a deep multi-branch campaign covering all the major actions and some side ones, such as Gordonsville, Louisa Court House & Drewry's Bluff.

Features:
A Scenario Editor that allows the players to build their own scenarios.
A Campaign Editor that allows the players to build their own campaigns.
A master map with over 1 million hexes covering the battleground from the Rapidan River to the James River.
Additional maps for New Market, Bermuda Hundred, Piedmont & Cloyd's Mountain.

Campaign Overland provides multiple play options including play against the computer AI, Play by E-mail (PBEM), LAN & Internet "live" play, and two player hotseat.

Changes:
Changes to the Civil War Battles Series in this game include:

Restored snapshot feature for entire map.

Added Mixed Organization Penalty Optional Rule for -1 morale modifier when units from different brigades are in the same hex.

Added ability to construct Trenches in certain scenarios based on Parameter Data Trench Construction value.

[Image: 694cb0028cOverland1.jpg]

[Image: 7c2ae8ea64Overland3.jpg]

[Image: ef6b303588Overland4.jpg]

[Image: 13b9c5cdcdOverland7.jpg]

Campaign Overland can be purchased here: http://john-tiller-software.myshopify.com/products/campaign-overland

RE: JTS Campaign Overland Released - Outlaw Josey Wales - 12-17-2012

Monster campaign on one map is one of the things I have always mentioned. I knew they could do it. Now somebody needs to do the same thing for all the campaigns in all their titles.

RE: JTS Campaign Overland Released - fastphil - 12-17-2012

Hadto revise my Christmas wish for Santa-well Mrs. Claus anyway. Big Grin

RE: JTS Campaign Overland Released - -72- - 12-17-2012

(12-17-2012, 10:20 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Monster campaign on one map is one of the things I have always mentioned. I knew they could do it. Now somebody needs to do the same thing for all the campaigns in all their titles.

One thing that the scenario description failed to mention is that players are supposed to refer to the text file (in the Overland folder) entitled: 'Notes_Overland_Scenario'.

It has (an understatement to be sure) a fair amount of house rules that are intended to be applied, with a requisite amount of bookeeping in order to keep things straight.

However, I think once I get around to working on a page, I will post the text so that anyone with the guts to take this one on, takes it on in the manner intended by the designer. That along with the planning map (which will be a couple of different sizes -but the largest will be in 2d zoom out hopefully.).

RE: JTS Campaign Overland Released - John Ferry - 12-18-2012

Big Grin
Regarding the Monster Scenario, I am the guilty party. The oversight regarding the notes is noted and we'll include the guidance in the first update. Anyone with questions is welcome to drop me a line.
John
(12-17-2012, 04:34 PM)trauth116 Wrote:
(12-17-2012, 10:20 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Monster campaign on one map is one of the things I have always mentioned. I knew they could do it. Now somebody needs to do the same thing for all the campaigns in all their titles.

One thing that the scenario description failed to mention is that players are supposed to refer to the text file (in the Overland folder) entitled: 'Notes_Overland_Scenario'.

It has (an understatement to be sure) a fair amount of house rules that are intended to be applied, with a requisite amount of bookeeping in order to keep things straight.

However, I think once I get around to working on a page, I will post the text so that anyone with the guts to take this one on, takes it on in the manner intended by the designer. That along with the planning map (which will be a couple of different sizes -but the largest will be in 2d zoom out hopefully.).

RE: JTS Campaign Overland Released - -72- - 12-19-2012

I nailed the planning map for the campaign scenario (although I haven't uploaded any version of it to the SDC site yet ....
).

You can get an idea here:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=360591280703832&set=a.360590570703903.82119.351292604967033&type=1&theater

I have 2 other sizes - a 2d zoom out version that is about a 320 mb gif (unzipped- I will probably put it in a .rar file before uploading it like I did for FIW's Quebec map... and a 25% of that size version which runs a little over 20 mb.

It's a hell of a map, let me tell you, and a great addition to the series.

More maps from Overland coming soon, as well as a dedicated page.

RE: JTS Campaign Overland Released - John Ferry - 12-20-2012

Map looks really good!
J

RE: JTS Campaign Overland Released - Compass Rose - 12-20-2012

Good stuff as always, Steve.

Thanks!

RE: JTS Campaign Overland Released - -72- - 12-20-2012

I won't embed the link here -but I was tempted to -this is for the full sized one on FB (which resizes things I think)...

http://hist-sdc.com/downloads/cwb/maps/overland/campaign_overland_smaller_plus.gif

Or if you want to have a look at the 22 mb size version -

http://hist-sdc.com/downloads/cwb/maps/overland/campaign_overland_smaller.gif

The FB page has the rest of the Overland planning maps that I put together now... although my disclaimer is with a lot of sub maps- I might find that I need to add more to the album as I come across them (I usually go by map file size -and usually never bother with 1 kb size .map files- but one can't get away with that with sub maps... so I might have missed some. Plus there probably are some smaller ones that I can put together some 3d maps as well.

RE: JTS Campaign Overland Released - John Ferry - 12-20-2012

Steve--
Remember that New Market, Piedmont and Cloyd's Mtn are stand alone maps (if you should decide to bother with these isolated battles) and in the case of Drewry's Bluff and Walthall Junction, etc, they are submaps of the Bermuda Hundred map.
But its all good!
John