• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads
Forums
2 new scenarios for RV and MW + 'Nam OOB - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards)
+-- Forum: The Firing Line (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Squad Battles (https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: 2 new scenarios for RV and MW + 'Nam OOB (/showthread.php?tid=59078)

Pages: 1 2

2 new scenarios for RV and MW + 'Nam OOB - Wolfgang - 06-13-2011

Hello.

I made up 2 new scenarios, 1 for RV and 1 for MW plus I modded an OOB for a 'Nam scn.

Anyone interested in trying these out for fun let me know - I sure could use a tester or two.

1. RV Scenario - The Guards Counterattack v3 (version 3):
Being a fan of Squad Leader since I was a kid, I decided to try and port some of the scenarios over into RV (I did a ton of ASL scenario ports into Combat Mission years ago). My first attempt is a pretty straightforward firefight at the Dzerhezinsky Tractor Works, Stalingrad 1942. It was the very first Squad Leader scenario ever put out: Scenario 1 The Guards Counterattack. Here is the original board setup (not my board actually its from the 'net):
[Image: c5c5805329GuardsCA-SLBoardSetup.jpg]

Its 10 turns of some furious firefighting and you can grab it from my files section although I'd like to submit it for H2H consideration here too. Although the units are historical, its an attempt to replicate a squad leader scenario on a one to one basis. As such, where the scenario called for a squad having an LMG, I simply removed a KAR98 and added in the lmg. If you have the SL scenario card handy you'll see that the squads and leader match up on a one for one basis.
Another note - even the battlefield is sized to match the board in hexes.

2. MW Scenario: The Battle of the Dark Coast v2

A game study into the land component of an Expeditionary Strike Group or ESG and the types of hypothetical situations an ESG could find itself in. This is beyond the confines of the long war on terror and attempts to move onto new ground addressing a new class of challenges. An ESG in theory consists of a reinforced SF capable marine battalion and is designed to take on numerous types of missions on short notice. The MEU within an ESG is based around an amphibious assault ship capable of launching CAS, LCAC and a platoon of M1s.
Its a Battalion sized amphibious/air assault designed to model hypothetical situations and yet be balanced in H2H play.

3. Vietnam: Con Thien.OOB mod

Operation Buffalo 2 July 1967 - OOB (Vietnam Scenario)
I decided to edit the OOB (only proper names - no other parameters) to fold in a few names of some officers as well as adjusting the unit names to reflect the actual units present (not all names were changed - mainly just BLT 1/9 and most of its key surviving officers).
If you've read the book - then having the OOB helps understand whats going on in Con Thien. Amazingly enough - once the names were changed all the units were exactly where they were historically - even the officers.

I have not tested it in pbem mode but vs the AI its fine (you probably wouldn't want to play this H2H anyhow). I dont think in a pbm situation where your opponent has the original Con Thien.OOB that it would cause any errors as all the values and parameters are the same - just *some* of the proper names are different. (I'm pretty sure the game calls up stuff from the OOB not by name but by some other identifier.)

* Warning: Backup your Con Thien.oob file first!

RE: 2 new scenarios for RV and MW + 'Nam OOB - TheBigRedOne - 06-15-2011

Send me a PBEM file of Con Thien using your modified OOB. I'll try to open it on my end with the original OOB and we'll see if there are any issues. I do believe that you are correct and that it might be fine. There are plenty of modified OOBs out there that change images and the like, but I've never heard of one that changes the units.

Worth the experiment to verify.

RE: 2 new scenarios for RV and MW + 'Nam OOB - Wolfgang - 06-15-2011

I've added more names to the OOB (they now include all officers in 1/9 who served through Operation Buffalo's end. Some companies you'll note went through several commanders during the op).

I've also annotated the OOB so that certain units show what decoration they received for this operation in-game.

-nc- = recommended for navy cross
[nc] = received navy cross
[ss] silver star
[sb] bronze star

(I think if something is removed from the OOB that is placed in the scenario then the scenario errors out when you try to load it.)

One thing I can't suss out though is how to assign S-1 though S-4 Officers into the OOB. I wonder if they were a part of the 1/9's H&S Company?

Also: if the S-2 and S-3 are in H&S Co., would that mean to imply that recon units also fall under the H&S Co. chain of command? In my research I have yet to see a 'Recon BLT' listed as such in the 1/9's org charts ive come across...

And finally - on Hill 70 on 1/9s right flank, was about a company's worth of NVA all wearing US flak jackets and helmets (after the battle they found a ditch with like 150 KIAs, all of them wearing us gear). Would be really cool if I could get the units to somehow reflect this fact in the scenario.

RE: 2 new scenarios for RV and MW + 'Nam OOB - Dog829 - 06-16-2011

Ive been wading through the dark coast scenario but it's still early into it. As it is, I'd like to finish it. I thought you did a nice job with it.

Meanwhile, I'll try out the RV scenario with you though.

* A moment of silence *
Sadly, My ex gathered all my SL & ASL, boards, counters, rulebooks, boxes and years of Armchair General placed them into a big pile in our backyard and set them ablaze after we had parted.
At least, that's the way I want to remember them. They departed with honor. That was one expensive fire.
RV File sent.

Ive been trying for about 45 minutes to get into the national archives site to access the Marine Corp Vietnam records but the site times out. Bet its got something to do with traffic from the release of the Pentagon papers which are also there.

RE: 2 new scenarios for RV and MW + 'Nam OOB - tallin - 06-16-2011

The burning of the ASL is horrible. That is almost a war crime.

RE: 2 new scenarios for RV and MW + 'Nam OOB - Dog829 - 06-16-2011

(06-16-2011, 11:42 AM)tallin Wrote: The burning of the ASL is horrible. That is almost a war crime.

I never gave any thought to contacting the Hague. Hmmmm. Wonder if there's a statute of limitations that applies here because that was like 1982-83? In the five stages of grief I leapt immediately to stage 2 :mad:
and stayed there for a long, long, long quite a while. Today it's just something that happened along the way.
Karma bird got her too, She later married a lawyer and they moved to New Jersey.

RE: 2 new scenarios for RV and MW + 'Nam OOB - tallin - 06-16-2011

Marrying the attorney is okay, it's the part about moving to NJ that gives me the shivers:)

RE: 2 new scenarios for RV and MW + 'Nam OOB - Wolfgang - 06-18-2011

Ooh ouch. I smell what you're steppin in.. You know I had the same thing happen :eek1: to my acoustic guitar way back... Luckily, I had buried all the gaming materials in the back of the closet first though.

RE: 2 new scenarios for RV and MW + 'Nam OOB - Kritterpaw - 06-29-2011

Seeing that board and units makes me all nostalgic.
Is that a tear of joy sliding down my cheek.
Will with great enthusiasm check this out,

Many thanks :)

RE: 2 new scenarios for RV and MW + 'Nam OOB - Wolfgang - 06-29-2011

Well hey Thank you.

One thing is: there's no map creator in squad battles so I had to kinda find an existing location that was both historicaly true and then hopefully close to the squad leader board in style.

But yeh, remember the days when we'd actually all gather around a big table with maps and dice??